Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Title

Remember when I said that I was, like, the picture of discipline on Monday?  If you could quantify discipline on a scale of 1 to 100, Monday was like a 95 for me.  (I did have one completely unnatural off-brand freezy pop tube for dessert.)

Tuesday and Wednesday have been like a 2 and a 4, respectively.

Seriously, you guys, I am pretty dumb, and here's why.  So, I got my freelance work to do on Thursday of last week.  I was so wrapped up in the spirit of juggling and having it all and talking on the phone about important professional issues!  I was budgeting my time wisely!  And so, yesterday I raced home from the gym to make the most of the second half of Nathan's camp time, to find out that there was a "stop the presses!" moment, like kind of literally because some things have to be reprinted before I can edit them.

So, now I have all this unexpected free time, and I seriously don't know what to do with myself.  It's like I can't figure out what to do if I don't have to juggle all my personal responsibilities with work.  I can't remember what I did before having this freelance gig.

Which was like a week ago.                      

You know how they always say If you want something done, give it to a busy person?  That is so true.  After my brief taste of juggling, I'm back to no work and I feel like there is nothing to do.  And yeah, there are things I need to do, but I just put them off because I don't feel like doing them, and what's the point because I can do them tomorrow?   

So yesterday I mostly just sat around all day, looking at stuff on the Internets, and at some point I took a nap in there (husband was home to hang with Nathan).  I should not take naps, because when I wake up from a nap, it's like my body thinks it was hibernating all winter and I should therefore eat everything in sight.  This used to be huge problem back in the days when Nathan napped, because, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I pretty much took a nap when Nathan did every single day from his birth to when he gave up his nap at age 3.  (Well, except for when I was at work, of course.)

So after yesterday's nap I ate my peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon.  And then I ate Cheerios straight out of the box, which I am also embarrassed to admit is one of my favorite snacks.  Then we had Panera for dinner, which was probably not the worst food I could possibly eat, except after that I went across the parking lot to the shrine to grease known as Pop's and got a 49-cent ice cream cone.  Just cuz.

Today I was determined to do a little bit better.  After camp drop-off I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical.  Here is what I have learned about the elliptical: I am not coordinated enough to do the one where you also have to use your arms.  With the arm one, I last like ten minutes, tops.  I can at least do 30 on the one where you just hold onto a bar and only use your legs.

I rode the stationary bike after that, but only because I wanted to get more miles in my Daily Mile report. 

After the gym I did something really very stupid.  So, I've been meaning to send an email of a job inquiry nature, and those things always scare me.  Too much possibility of rejection, you know?  So anyway, I told myself that I could get my nails done if I sent the email.  (Non-food rewards--yay Weight Watchering!)  But then I reasoned that it made more sense geographically if I got my nails done on the way home from the gym, not to mention that would be the only way I could do it while Nathan was at camp.  So, I had to get my nails done before sending the email. 

I got the cutest nails--white basecoat with the blue shatter topcoat, and seriously my nails look like they're made of denim. 

Except, that was like ten hours ago and I still haven't sent that email.  So, I kind of outsmarted myself there.  Take that, Shannon. 

Then after camp I told Nathan that I wanted to go to Starbucks.  He asked if we could go to Dunkin' Doughnuts instead.  And even though it was lunchtime and he should be eating something more wholesome than a doughnut, I said yes.  Because I had a gift card.  Yet another Mother of the Year moment. 

I got Bill a Captain America star-shaped jelly doughnut with sprinkles.  Because that would soften the blow when I had to tell him the dishwasher was broken. 

I think I did some other stuff in the eight hours between telling Bill the dishwasher was broken and now, but I can't remember what it was.  Except for calling the dishwasher repair people. 

Good thing more work has come in for me, or my brain might turn into a jelly doughnut.  And not a cute one with sprinkles, either. 

No comments: