Sunday, July 24, 2011

SuperIma Sunday Check-In: Thunderstorm Edition

The craziest, loudest, house-shakingest thunderstorm has been raging for over an hour now.  I thought these things were supposed to just come and go quickly. 

Oh well, enough about the weather. 

Let's first go over and visit SuperIma Leigh Ann, who is having a tough time and could use our love and support, and possibly a copy of YA novel Crossed.  

As for me personally, I had a crazy week.  I wouldn't say it was my best motherhood week, but I was a productive employee.  Naturally, the whole mother vs. employee issue has plunged me into several bouts of over-analysis.  Is it better or worse for my child if I work?  Am I doing him a disservice by trying to work from home without a babysitter?  A paid babysitter would at least engage him in moderately wholesome, constructive activities, as opposed to my current babysitters, Nick Jr. and PBS Kids. 

[Unfortunately babysitter Nick exposed Nathan to some inappropriate content this week, when the last few seconds of Family Matters concluded the Nick at Nite portion, right before the kids' programming began with Dora or something.  Anyway, Nathan immediately took a liking to Urkel.  I was kind of hoping he would go his whole life without exposure to Urkel.  Babysitter Nick is fired.  He costs a little more than babysitter PBS anyway.  He also doesn't provide the opportunities for parental smugness that PBS does.] 

But anyway, we made it through the week.  The house was a hideous disaster.  I tried to clean a little each day, but the amount of cleaning I did paled in comparison to the amount of mess being made.  (Apparently there were some non-TV, mess-making activities going on, things like making cornstarch-and-water slime, but then adding other fun ingredients like olive oil and cake sprinkles.)  And the Clothing Command Center grew and grew, with other clothing queuing up to get in as well.

Somehow, though, I managed the rare freelance occurrence of getting all work done and turned in before the weekend, so I have the weekend free to get my life in order.  I dismantled the Clothing Command Center, putting all laundry away in the appropriate closets and dressers.  I dealt with a huge pile of mail.  I picked up clutter in every room of my house, so now I can actually do things like vacuum and dust (yay?). 

I'm leaving for California next Saturday, and I want the house to be clean before I leave. 

Oh wait, I forgot to talk about my goals from last week's check-in.

Finish a book: FAIL.  I didn't get to enter the library raffle this week.  Whatever.  I have totally gotten over that minor disappointment. 

Do three things to further my freelance career: WIN.  I don't want to talk about my work too much online, but hopefully my three efforts will pay off. 

Home office setup: MIXED BAG.  The good news is, the painters came and painted the room purple.  The disappointing news is, my rolltop desk-shopping has not been successful thus far.  A couple of stores didn't have any rolltop desks.  Another store had one I loved, but my husband felt was poorly-constructed and overpriced.  I saw one on Amazon I liked, but my husband found a couple of negative comments (among several other glowing positive ones) on the feedback site for the seller.  My husband and I ... might not have the same purchasing style when it comes to researching options.
Anyway, this week is totally up in the air as to what work will come in, so I don't feel like I'm in the position to set any goals.  It's one of those crazy pre-trip weeks.  But on the plus side, Nathan is going to camp. 

I guess my only goal this week is to work out more than I did last week.  Working out has taken a backseat to my freelance work, which is a situation I totally HATE.  Also with the extreme heat this past week, I didn't feel like I had the option of riding my bike or walking outdoors, which are always good backup options when I don't feel like dealing with the hassles of the gym.  Plus, the damn gym daycare isn't open on Sundays in the summer, so there goes another potential workout day.  I find myself in a big ball of lethargic snit when I don't work out very much. Must do better this week. 

So, that's my update.  And it looks like the thunder has stopped. 

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

I'd say the extent to which you met your goals was REALLY admirable.

There is just nothing to do about the house, and it really is a vicious cycle. My kids strew their toys and blankets and pillows EVERYWHERE and then cover everything in a dusting of crumbs. Doesn't matter whether I give them anything to eat - somehow they produce crumbs anyway.

Thank you for the love and support. I really do need it. Almost as much as I need that ARC of Crossed. (Seriously, I am going to EBAY right now to see if I can find one. I am OB. SESSED.)