Sunday, July 31, 2011

Super Ima Sunday Check-In: "West Coast Represent" Edition

So, I made it to California. 

The hours before the departure were anxiety-ridden.  I was nervous on the way to the airport.  I got through the goodbyes with Bill and Nathan.  (My dad says in our family we never say "goodbye," we always say "so long," but you know what I mean.)  I cried a little in the airport and scarfed down an entire Chicken McNuggets Extra Value meal without even tasting it, I was so nervous. 

But did you know that air travel is ridiculously easy without any children (or husbands)?  Going through security, I felt like I must have forgotten something, it was so simple. (It is a lot easier to travel in the summertime, too, because you can slip on flip-flops and you don't have a coat.)  On the flight itself, I seriously experienced the sensation of not knowing what to do with myself.  I did have my Kindle with me, but I haven't really had four hours straight to read in so long that I kind of didn't have the stamina. 

Also, I'm a pretty bad airplane sleeper (or car sleeper or anywhere-else-besides-a bed-sleeper), but I did doze a little in the middle there.  All of the sudden the exhaustion of the pre-trip anxiety just washed over me.  (That and a giant McDonald's meal tends to knock you out.)  And I had this feeling like, when I finally had a chance to sit down and think about it, the last month or so has just been tiring with all the juggling of activities. 

The flight landed 15 minutes early.  And again, everything at the airport just seemed so easy.  What, I can just pop in and out of the bathroom?  And then baggage claim was fine, and I caught the rental car shuttle right away.  And then ... it took like an hour to get the rental car.  Why are rental car places such a bitch? 

Here is the other thing: I am nervous about driving unfamiliar cars.  So an hour standing in line gave me a lot of opportunity to freak out about driving the rental car.  Finally I got the car, loaded my stuff in it, mounted my GPS with the Command adhesive strips I smartly brought in my purse, adjusted the seat and mirrors ... and then drove the thing to the gate, only to be told I had the wrong car.  Turns out the rental car people had parked the wrong car in the spot I was assigned to, and I got a car with a similar license plate, and the same type of car, but the wrong color.  So I had to get that adjusted, and finally I was on the road. 

I got to stop and eat at my beloved Del Taco on the way to my in-laws' house.  The whole drive went smoothly, except my in-laws' street was not in the GPS, and it took a couple of phone calls to direct me up the middle-of-nowhere, bumpy dirt road leading to their house.  It maybe wasn't a good road for a Chevy Aveo.  (I should note that the in-laws have only lived in this particular location for a little over a year, and the other times we've visited Bill has driven.) 

It took four hours from the time the plane landed to the time I got to my in-laws' house.  But when I got there they had wine and shrimp, and all was well.  I went to bed shortly thereafter, and I had this feeling like my hands felt strangely empty.  Surely there was at least a small pet I could take to bed with me.  But no ... nothing.  It felt weird.

But in the morning, being alone felt awesome.  I woke up and then just decided to go back to sleep.  That never happens.  At home Nathan and/or Leia are dragging me out of bed, and I feel like I have to get up and get all kinds of laundry done.  This morning, when I finally got up, my only responsibility was making myself some coffee.

So, this week I don't have anything to say about letting things slide or giving myself a break.  The whole damn week is a break.  As nervous as I was about leaving Nathan, this does feel very leisurely. 

And SuperIma Leigh Ann is also off on some solo travel for her Hillel conference this week!  Click over and wish her bon voyage

No comments: