Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Post I Should Have Written Thursday

I haven't posted in four days.  That's the longest I've been away from my blog all year.  If this blog were a child, I'd probably be arrested for neglect.  But this blog isn't a child, which means I can catch up on my responsibilities whenever it's convenient for me, without legal repercussions.  Anyway, I'm attempting to go back in time and do a post for each of the three days I missed, so that I can get back on track with my goal of 365 posts this year.  Because, new paying work be damned, I will write 365 posts this year.  If only I were that disciplined about weight-loss.  Anyway, here goes ...

It turns out the unexpected hiatus from my freelance project was short-lived, because Wednesday night I received a big chunk of pages to edit.  Let me make this clear: I am not complaining.  As I said on Wednesday, I kind of didn't like the feeling of not knowing what to do with myself.  So work is good.  Work is very, very good. 

So, Thursday I dug into the project.  And it was the more interesting, less tedious part of the project, so that was good.  And you guys, I know this is a weird thing to say about editing math textbooks, but it was kind of awesome.  All this stuff was coming back to me that I hadn't thought about since quitting my job 2.5 years ago.  Like WOLs!  OMG I had forgotten about WOLs!  WOLs!

[A WOL is a write-on line.  You know, like a line in a student workbook where a kid writes the answer to a problem?  I'm not mentioning this because you needed to know an obscure fact about educational publishing.  I'm mentioning it because the whole WOL thing is an example of the larger fact that it's nice to remember the lingo.  One of the biggest worries women have when leaving the workforce for a period of time is that when they go back, everything will be too different for them to adapt.  And while there have obviously been changes in the industry since I left, at least good old WOLs are still alive and well.]

So Thursday, I edited.  And I lifted some really heavy objects with my trainer at the gym.  Then also somewhere in there I was on g-chat with Farrah, who mentioned that she was unable to use her free ticket to the upcoming Brand Blogger Summit, and asked if I'd like to have that ticket.  And since I always welcome the opportunity to get free stuff and drink cocktails network with other bloggers, I said yes.  More on that later.  Like in another post. 

Also on Thursday the dishwasher repair guy came.  For those curious about dishwasher repair, which is, you know, nobody, the problem was that the float valve was stuck shut and no water was getting into the dishwasher.  Plus when I was loading up the dishwasher for a test run, the guy told me I was sort of abusive toward my dishwasher because I was putting the dishes in so quickly and forcefully.  Now, (a) I abuse all electronics.  I am not gentle with them.  But (b) With the quantity of dishes going in and out of that thing in a given day, am I really supposed to place everything gingerly like it's all fine china?  Do you know how many Fiesta dishes I have broken in my life?  Two.  (As you'll recall, a piece of one got lodged in my husband's foot recently, necessitating medical care.)  So I'm not that worried about breaking my dishes.  Apparently, though, I should be worried about breaking my dishwasher. 

Anyway, Thursday ... blah, blah, blah editing ... yadda, yadda, yadda mildly-heated conversation with husband about how I didn't ask follow-up questions to clarify the cost of the dishwasher repair ... oh, and we went to Oodles of Noodles night at the pool. 

No comments: