Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day in Review: Saturday, July 2

We decided to bring the in-laws along on our usual Saturday morning traditions.  It started with swim lessons:


As usual, we went to the farmer's market after swimming lessons.  As usual, we bought too much cheese and bread.  Among the three adults and Nathan, we bought: a baguette of pretzel bread, some pizza buns, a four-year aged sharp cheddar, smoked string cheese, a creamy garlic dill cheese spread, some type of Italian cheese soaked in raspberry, some actual raspberries, and blueberries.

That was our lunch.

After lunch I started marinating some chicken, shrimp, and vegetables for dinner.  I'm currently digging on this Basil Shrimp marinade and this Honey Chicken marinade.  I instructed the men on how to start setting up/grilling the dinner, and then I went to the pool with Nathan and my mother-in-law Diana.

I don't have any pictures from the pool.  Just look at the photo above from swimming lessons, and then picture Diana and me swimming in that pool.  Please picture me about 30 pounds thinner, just for laughs.  Thank you.

When we got home from the pool, Bill and his dad were grilling up the dinner.  In addition to meat, seafood, and vegetables, we also grilled peaches and pineapple.  If you have never grilled pineapple, you should grill pineapple.  You know when your grandma or your mom or your Weight Watchers leader would say that fruit is "nature's candy"?  Grilled pineapple is one of the few fruit items that actually tastes like candy.

I also think it would be delicious to cut up the canned pineapple and put it over ice cream, with some toasted coconut, chopped macadamia nuts, and chocolate sauce to make sort of a Hawaiian sundae.  But, you know, there's that whole Weight Watchers thing.

After dinner we went to the local fireworks show in Chicago Heights, which is a suburb that's just about as classy as it sounds.  The fireworks are shot off in a field at a high school, and we parked outside a Little Caesar's down the street and walked tot he field.  But some upstanding Chicago Heights citizens were too lazy to walk and just set up their folding chairs right there in the Little Caesar's parking lot, busted out the beer, turned up the car stereo, and had a dance party.

Once at the field, I of course succumbed to the shameful parenting moment known as "buying your kid some flashy light-up junk from a street vendor."  I admit that I usually buy flashy light-up junk because I think it's cool myself, and also because flashy light-up junk has really gone down in price in recent years.  Last night's light-up sword was $5 and provided literally minutes of entertainment. 

Here are a bunch of pictures of us:

Yeah, okay, we brought the iPad.




Hey look--it's me!






In the interests of preserving these precious family moments for the future, I should note that only 60% of the members in our party enjoyed the show. Nathan and Bill thought the fireworks were too loud. But my in-laws and I were really impressed with the fireworks display, which lasted about 45 minutes and was truly varied in terms of the types of fireworks used. Unfortunately they did not have the firework shaped like a cowboy hat, as popularized on 30 Rock.

No comments: