Sunday, July 17, 2011

SuperIma Sunday Check-In: I Thought I Sucked Last Week But Maybe I Kinda Didn't Edition

Phew, what a week!  This week had it all ... the crazy ups and downs of adjusting to a new work/life situation, an energy-draining blog conference, fun valuable antique finds ... you name it. 

When I sat down to write this post, my first thought was that I didn't do a very good job on my SuperIma goals/plans/whatever this week. 

But when I looked back and really thought about, I kind of didn't suck as badly as I thought I did.  I said I was going to make a list of chores I wanted done by the end of the week, rather than make a daily to-do list.  Well, I kind of made the list, although the week ended and I didn't really get everything done.  But, in my defense, when I wrote that list I didn't know I was going to be spending the entire day downtown at a conference Saturday (a.k.a. the last day of the week and the last day to get my weekly list done). 

But, as is often the case, I'm finding that I embraced the spirit of that goal even if I didn't exactly fully achieve it.  The spirit of the weekly to-do list was If I don't get everything done at the end of the day, that's okay.  And I'm definitely adopting that spirit.

Take, for example, the whole laundry situation.  Last week I said that I was just going to pile all my folded laundry up on the dining room table.  I called it my Clothing Command Center, because all the clothing is centrally-located, in piles organized according to type of garment and owner, so that I can just grab outfits whenever I need them.  Off to the gym?  Let me just grab some workout pants, a t-shirt, and a sports bra.  Nathan's bathtime?  I'll just get tonight's pajamas off the dining room table! 

I love the Clothing Command Center.

Bill hates the Clothing Command Center.  All week, he has been ragging on my piles of clothing in the dining room.  He says he wants to have the kind of house where people could just drop in unexpectedly, and having our (clean) underwear on the table prevents us from having a drop-in-guest-friendly house.  I say we are not living in a 1950s sitcom, and nobody ever drops in anyway.  Wouldn't potential drop-in guests call you on their cell phones before coming over? 

Also there's the not-too-minor point that Bill is free to step in and put away the clothing anytime. 

Note that it's still there. 

Anyway, "put away laundry" was an item on my weekly to-do list, and I didn't get to it.  But then again, as I said, I kind of like the Clothing Command Center.

I also talked last week about getting serious on my home office plans.  And, as I said in my previous post, the wheels are in motion on the office remodel!  And since writing that post, the painter called and I got a definite commitment of Tuesday for the painting.  I'll be ordering my roll-top desk by the end of the week!  Oh and I guess I need to go and get that poster framed. 

Other than the poster framing, my goals for this week are as follows:

So, I'm kind of on a high of juggling work and life, and I want to ride that high as long as possible.  Which means my goal this week is to take three minor steps toward securing more freelance work for the future. 

And also there's the poster-framing thing.  And the rolltop desk-buying thing.  And maybe the Clothing Command Center thing, as in I'm not putting away laundry again this week, okay? 

Plus, I really hope to finish reading a book this week.  I talked awhile back about how, on principle, I was refusing to put my weekly ticket in the library raffle if I didn't actually read a book that week.  Well, I have managed to read books and enter the raffle all five weeks, and now this week is the last week and I might have to skip it.  There's just something so disappointing about achieving something every single week except one, especially the last one.  (Did I ever tell you about the time in elementary school when I was supposed to go to McDonald's for lunch in the teacher's car because I got 100% on my spelling test 30 times in a row, but then I misspelled the word wore on the 30th spelling test?  The whole "failure on the last library raffle" situation is kind of like that.  In that it's totally disappointing but also totally pointless and meaningless in the grand scheme of things.) 

Anyway, I have until Friday to finish a book and submit this week's ticket.  Also I may have forgotten to mention this, but I did win a raffle a couple of weeks ago (unfortunately it was a $10 gift card to a restaurant I don't really like, but it came with a candy bar).  So I might not be eligible to win another raffle anyway. 

Now go visit SuperIma Leigh Ann, and give her your condolences about the end of the Harry Potter movie franchise. 

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

I love you. Have I told you that?
I am not eaggerating when I say that I am literally too emotionally incapacitated to post a blog update. Tomorrow.

<3