Thursday, July 7, 2011

How Shannon Got Her Groove Back

Well, it's more like How Shannon is Getting Her Groove Back, or more accurately, How Shannon is Kinda Sorta Making Plans to Maybe Start Getting Her Groove Back.  But those descriptions don't play on the title of a mid-90s hit book/film.

I'm talking about my professional groove here.  When I quit my full-time, outside-the-home job in October of 2008, I assumed I'd have a brief regrouping period and then cobble together some sort of hybrid part-time/freelance career.  Oh, I'd be so creatively fulfilled and work-life-balanced! 

Flash-forward to a little over 2.5 years later, and I've just gotten stuck.  Bill and I have now filed tax returns for two full tax years in which my income was $0.  And during that time I have made great strides in terms of getting my personal and family lives in order.  My mental health is stable, I'm on a regular exercise schedule, I mostly stay on top of household duties, and I'm involved in a variety of activities that just generally make me a happy person.  And all that personal fulfillment is all well and good, BUT in our society we attach a great value to making money.  I'd like to say that I'm above thinking that the ability to make money confers a certain status upon a person, but the reality is that I feel less competent because I'm not contributing to my family's income. 

So lately I've been applying to a few different jobs, putting out feelers as the cheesy corporate lingo goes, although the two money-making opportunities that look the most promising were gigs that actually came to me.  I have a freelance project that has just gotten emailed to me during the typing of this blog post, and, and, I got an email from somebody who is interested in advertising on Same Old Shannon. 

The funny thing is, I don't care if I don't get rich off any of these opportunities.  I don't even care if I don't even come close to making a tiny fraction of what my husband makes.  To me, there's just a great deal of pride that comes from some outside person telling you that your work is valuable enough to be financially compensated. 

Plus it doesn't hurt to have a little extra income going in when so much is going out.

Speaking of outgoing funds, I think I need to spend some money on some office supplies for myself.  I know, I know, I'll destroy my whole profit margin!  But if I look at it from the standpoint of my total household income, I think I can afford to buy:

A roll-top desk!

The desk would be for that new office I said I was going to create for myself back in January.  Yeah, I know, I still haven't fulfilled my New Year's Resolution.  But I'm still working on it.  That counts for something, right?  Because I know this sounds dumb and cheesy and generally just a justification for spending more money, but I really think I need a dedicated workspace.

And I really think that, as the lone female in my house, my dedicated workspace should be an homage to all things pink and girly.  I found the perfect poster in my basement to frame for my office:

This is a poster I got in 2005 when my mom and I attended the Jacqueline Kennedy dress exhibit at The Field Museum.  I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with the Kennedys or anything, but I like history and the exhibit was really cool.  Plus I have really fond memories of going to it with my mom on what was, as I recall, her first visit to Chicago.  Also I think posters from museum exhibits are a little bit classier than my old decor, which was cat posters.  

So, I think I have switched my potential office location from a corner of the basement to a corner of the guest room.  It's warmer up in the guest room, with more light, and besides I wouldn't have to clean out a whole bunch of clutter like I would in the basement.  

I just decided I'm going to paint it a peaceful shade of lavender!

Here's something else about me: I love office supplies.  I'm convinced that if I had all the right pens and notebooks, I could not only be at my peak creatively, but also perfectly organized.  

And nobody does office supplies like the Japanese.  Just this past week I placed an order from Tokyo Pen Shop, which is a Japanese office supply website that I once read about in Martha Stewart Living.  Martha likes the site because it sells the Pilot Hi-Tec-C pen, which is not sold in stores in the U.S.  I purchased the Hi-Tec-C pens in the Cutie Colors assortment:


I also got some D-Clips paper clips shaped like cats.  I have no idea what I'm going to be clipping together, but damn if they aren't the cutest things you ever saw. 

Okay, so I spent less time talking about my professional pursuits than I spent talking about my plans to decorate my home office, which makes me feel a little bit like Elle Woods in Legally Blonde.  But you'd rather read about gel pens than freelance editorial work, right? 

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! SO excited for you! For the work, mostly, but also the office. You rule.

(Also, let's go back to high school - Word verification = consdom. Teehee.)

Claudine said...

Congrats! Your job is now legit, and yes, you need and deserve a dedicated work space. I also like how the flat screen fits nicely into the roll-top desk. Have fun shopping! See you at Office Max.

Kimberly said...

LOVE the desk! I totally get the office supply thing. And don't forget, Elle Woods graduated from Harvard at the end of the movie, so I think it's ok to be a little bit like her ;)

Tim said...

This is a comment from a person of the increasingly elderly persuasion, but could you use a slightly darker font? I know that barely-visible fonts are all the rage, but it's awfully hard to read them.