Sunday, August 21, 2011

SuperIma Sunday Check-In: Vaguely Philosophical and Slightly Different Format Edition

Every Sunday as I sit down to write my check-in, I reflect back on my week. 

And I can't ever think of a damn thing to say. 

I mean, not literally.  Every week I could say that I cooked and cleaned and did laundry and a million other boring life-sustaining household chores.  Some weeks I can reflect back on special, unique events.  I could talk about various professional endeavors. 

But I guess what I'm unable to do is sit here and compose a one-sentence evaluation of the week.  As in, "Last week was _______________."

I guess maybe that sort of fill-in-the-blank life summary doesn't really make sense, outside of the context of, say, first grade. 

Last week was.  

Happy things happened, frustrating things happened, I displayed some behaviors I was proud of and some behaviors I was not-so-proud of.  The not-so-proud behaviors aren't interesting or scandalous.  I'm just talking about things I shouldn't have eaten or times I should have worked out when I didn't.  Or times I let my kid watch too much TV.  Even my transgressions are sort of boring.

Lest you think this is getting a little bit sad, let me remind you that I love boring.  No news is good news and all that. 

In fact, no news is good news could be my life motto. 

Because, really, isn't most of life composed of mundane, everyday moments? 

I always think it's strange that realtors like to point out that a particular house is a "great space for entertaining."  I mean, yes, the concept of entertaining evokes all kinds of positive, happy moments among friends and loved ones, and that's just the kind of good feeling a realtor wants you to associate with the house.  But, really, what percentage of time in a house is spent entertaining?  Even avid entertainers only entertain like, what, two times a month?  That's about 100 hours a year of entertaining, versus the thousands of hours you spend every year in your home doing everyday tasks.  Why can't a realtor say something like, "This would be a great bathroom in which to brush your teeth every morning?"

Because everyday grooming tasks and household chores are boring at best, annoying at worst.  Nobody looks forward to buying a house so they can wash dishes in it. 

But, lately I've been challenging myself to be more appreciative of the little things in life. 

Let me be clear: I will never love doing the laundry.  I can step back and be grateful that we have a washer and dryer in our home, and plenty of clothes and linens to wash.  That still doesn't make it fun to fold a pile of laundry as high as my waist, just like I did last week, and just like I will do next week. 

But maybe I can at least move away from out-and-out hating my house and all the chores I have to do in it.  It is not that I literally hate my house.  I like my house.  I think it's a nice house.  It's just that I hate sitting in it and reflecting on how the floor needs to be vacuumed and the walls need to be painted, and why can't it be more like so-and-so's house or that house I saw in a magazine? 

I just want to move toward a life where I can focus more on what's going right than on what's going wrong. 

This goal is neither specific nor measurable.  It's more of an attitude I'd like to cultivate than a goal I'd like to achieve. 

So, this week my goal is to let whatever I do be enough. 



1 comment:

Mtake said...

Now let's see, what should I comment on?.... Your Zen approach to life, thoughts on the art of selling real estate, ambition to goal or not to goal, need to want or not want? Very interesting. In fact, you are quite an interesting, complex yet straight-to-the-point young lady with a lot of zest to life. Carry on!