Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh, Why Hello There, Mr. Blog

The fact that I haven't gotten around to updating my blog for two days is sort of indicative of the general theme of my life this week, which can be summed up in a one-word question:

When? 

When, seriously, am I supposed to have time to do all this stuff?  I want to go through my BlogHer swag and find all the PR reps' email addresses so I can write to the companies I like and see if they'll give me something for a blog giveaway.  I want to clean out my basement.  I want to get back to my office remodel.  I want to go out and look for more work, and take my kid on fun outings, and read books. 

But it seems like when I get through the paying work that has immediate deadlines, and the basic life-sustaining tasks like cooking and laundry, and the occasional exercise activity, I don't have any time left to do any of that stuff. 

I look at other blogs and the people seem to somehow have time to write their blogs, find sponsors, tweet endlessly, read books, write articles for money, take beautiful photographs, and never shirk their mothering responsibilities to what always seems like at least 4 kids. 

I'm copying a little bit of this thinking from a recent post written by my new blog friend Maria, wherein she asked how it is that all these professional mom bloggers seem to always have time to raise their multiple children, make healthy from-scratch meals, do clever crafty things, and still write their blogs. 

I honestly don't know, Maria.  Maybe they give up sleep. 

As for me, I'm not willing to give up sleep, and so it seems between all the must-do's of the day, and stupid idiocy like having to field calls for somebody named Sylvia who apparently used to have this number or a number similar to it, and making a separate dinner for each person in my family ... I just run out of time.  And I do admit to spending a few minutes here and there on Facebook or sending recreational emails, but I don't think I'm online half as much as some of these hyper-tweeting bloggers who seem to have blog posts up everywhere. 

I wrote this whole post from the bathroom (sitting on the toilet, but with the lid down, I swear) while Nathan takes a bath.  And I kind of let him get away with way too much splashing, so the entirety of the bathroom is wet.  Because those are the kinds of sacrifices I'm willing to make to find the time to put this high-quality drivel on the Internet for you. 

But I'm gonna quit while my laptop is still dry.  Until tomorrow ... or maybe the day after that ...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have at least 4 blog posts to write, my house is in shambles. Dishes in the sink, dishes in the dishwasher, laundry up the gazoo. I choose to sleep and pull weeds and splash with the boys, When am I gonna get this stuff done? Good question!

Melisa Wells said...

Time management is something I have lots of trouble with. I'd say more, but I need to get busy. :)

Maria The Mum said...

Thanks for the shout out!
One time, I wrote a blog while Lucy lay asleep on me (she was having a bout of croup and a double ear infection) At the same time, I was online paying bills....I think I bounced a check and somehow posted my bill payees on my blog....thank goodness I've gotten better at multi tasking!