Sunday, August 28, 2011

SuperIma Sunday Check-In: "Desserts" Spelled Backwards

I'm actually typing this Saturday night and auto-posting it.  I have a ton of work to do, but my brain is too fried for editorial work, so I figured I'd type tomorrow's blog post instead and save tomorrow for the rest of the editorial work.

Hmm, what to say about last week?  We're plodding along.  We have one more week before school and our new babysitting arrangement starts, and before the gym daycare returns to its regular hours.  Basically, one more week until we return to normal, structured life.

Oh, and we are having major bedtime woes.  I feel like we make some progress on bedtime, and then it's one step forward and two steps back.  I would just like to see a situation where we go through the whole bedtime routine, have a brief snuggle, and then walk him to his bed shortly before 8:00, and then he just goes to sleep.  I'm knocking myself out to tire him out every day, really working to keep a schedule/routine, but then what can I do if he doesn't fall asleep for another hour and a half?  I can make all the threats and bribes I want, but I can't force the child to actually sleep.

Case in point: right this second.  The child woke up early this morning and then ran himself ragged at a birthday party today.  He showed major signs of exhaustion by dinnertime.  I did everything in my power to rush him through the bedtime routine and get him into bed in a no-nonsense fashion.  He was in bed by 7:30.  And that's where he's been until now, which is 9:10, and he still isn't sleeping.

He gets so crabby and naughty when he doesn't sleep enough, and I feel like the world's worst parent because, seriously, why can't I get this child to sleep?  But then it's nighttime and he won't go to sleep again and I'm just getting more and more stressed out because the cycle continues.  And I know, sleep begets sleep, and the more you sleep the more you want to sleep, but, see, in order to beget more sleep, you have to sleep at some point and OMG HE WON'T GO TO SLEEP.

As you can see, I'm a little bit stressed out.  Perhaps I should make a plan to tackle that stress this week.

First of all, all I can do is keep fighting the good fight, sleep-wise.  My whole deal in the last two weeks is that we need to plant the seeds of a schedule before school starts, so that we aren't making too many changes all at once the day after Labor Day.  So, right now, this whole getting on a schedule thing is a work in progress.  And I can't give up before everything eventually gels.  Everything will eventually gel, right?  Right?!

Second, and this isn't something I can achieve in one week, but I'd like to get to a point where I don't see every single negative thing Nathan does as a reflection on myself as a parent.  I guess all I can do is keep repeating the affirmation: "This isn't a reflection on you.  This isn't a reflection on you."

And I need to go to the gym at least four times, which I think I can do because I seriously scheduled three appointments with Trainer Jill this week.  I figured I be less likely to flake on the gym if I made appointments.  Effective?  Yes.  Cheap?  No.

Oh and I'm finding a way to see The Help this week.  Even if I have to hire a babysitter.

And, when times get tough, I'm just going to take a quiet break, even if that means locking myself in the bathroom.  Or crying it out. 

P.S. Today is the last day to enter my giveaway for Hi-Tec C Pens from Tokyo Pen Shop!  Tomorrow I'll be giving away free vouchers for frozen Italian foods!