Monday, January 31, 2011

Snowverload

Snowpocalypse is coming! We could get 18 inches, which would be the biggest I've ever seen. And there's a lot of opportunity for "that's what she said" jokes!

Anyway, figuring today might be the last opportunity to get out and do some errands before Snowmageddon hits, I took Nathan to get a haircut. His haircut place is in Indiana, and so I decided we might as well hit up my favorite Indiana-based mall while we were across the state line.

After the inflatable playground, the Sticky Glob booth, and Wetzel's Pretzels, Nathan played on the brand-new mall playground. He played for about 15 minutes, and then as we were getting ready to leave, another mom said to me, "I have told your son several times not to grab my daughter. He was doing it several times while you were sitting right there."

Translation: You suck as a parent.

And you guys, maybe it was the weather or my exhaustion or whatever, but I started to cry. I hate being criticized. I especially hate being criticized for my parenting.

I never reprimand strangers' kids. And I certainly don't reprimand other parents. And I know the other mom had to go all Mama Bear and protect her own kid, and I get that, but could she possibly be nicer? I'm just trying to make it through the winter like everybody else here. And yes, I know my kid was being a shit. And I know he deserved to be reprimanded. But give me a break, Lady.

And, and, and ... shut up, that's why.

To console myself, I went and spent $51 on unnecessary items at Bath & Body Works. I'm not gonna lie, that improved things. I bought Island Margarita soap, a Pink Sangria candle, Pink Sangria Wallflowers refills, and a Mango Margarita car air freshener. Because I felt like a drink, and also felt like making my car smell like I had been drinking ... ? Plus I bought various scented toiletries in the following: Apricot, Forever Sunshine, Bali Mango, Fresh Bamboo, Apricot, and Caribbean Salsa. It's like Bath & Body Works figures that as long as a product evokes images of summertime and warm tropical locales, they'll sell a buttload of it to all of us living in cold climates in January. And they would be right.

I also purchased an antibacterial gel with the name "I Love Cake."

(A lot of the stuff was part of some kind of coupon deal, or "buy 2, get one free," or whatever.)

Anyway, so I'm prepared for snOwMG because I have candles and lotions. What? The power could go out, and we could have some kind of emergency skin-dryness situation.

I also have milk and bread.

7 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Oh, no no no no NO! How horrible! If I had been with you I would have given that lady a piece of my mind. Maybe, like, "Well, it's a good thing your little sweetie will be able to take you to high school with her to tattle on all those bullies too."

Ugh. Glad you're prepared for Snowmageddon. Everyone here is all, "I hope it doesn't impact the roads too much," and I'm all, "Are you kidding me? Because I would like to be snowed in for daysanddays."

Enjoy. :)

BaBoozle said...

Really? It is parents like you that make playing at the mall an exhausting experience for the rest of us. Yes, we are all just trying to get through the winter and no, other parents don't expect you to hover over your son and monitor his every move but if you were sitting right. there. and you were letting him rough up a little girl then guess what. You were being a shitty parent.

Shannon said...

Gee, BaBoozle, I'm really sad that you won't be at the mall playground because you find it too exhausting to be around people like me. It would have been nice to meet the World's Most Perfect Parent.

Leigh Ann said...

On the upside, Hey! One more reader!

Kimberly said...

I seriously thought BaBoozle's comment had to be a joke. Like could anyone seriously be that judgmental? And then advertise that judgmental attitude in public? Don't worry Shannon, I'm sure your human (as in, imperfect - cause aren't we all as humans??) readers got your point.

Andrella said...

Woah. That was way harsh, Tai.

JOSIE said...

Suck it, BaBoozle!