Sunday, January 23, 2011

SuperIma Sunday Check-In

So, remember last week I wrote my first post for Leigh Ann's SuperIma Sunday Check-In? To recap, the Sunday Check-In is a time when moms discuss two goals for the week: (1) some responsibility you are going to let slide, and (2) something you are going to do for yourself. The check-in is the place to discuss how you did on last week's goals, and set new goals for the upcoming week.

Well, first off, I want to thank Leigh Ann for the massive shout-out she gave me on her post today. It's always fun to feel like a minor celebrity. Also she made me feel so awesome for my small accomplishments, even though I normally think of myself as an unaccomplished waste of space.

I would also like to note that last week when I did Leigh Ann's check-in, Andrea commented that she wanted to try to set some of the SuperIma goals herself. Now, the thing is, I don't know Leigh Ann or Andrea IRL, and yet somehow we have a sort of chain reaction of support and inspiration going here. And that, I think, is the power of blogging.

Now onto the check-in!

You'll recall that my "letting slide" goal last week was to forget about putting away the laundry. Not surprisingly, I did a great job on that goal! But seriously, it's amazing how giving up on such a dumb little thing could feel so freeing. Like, suddenly I no longer felt like laundry was this Oppressive Force of Doom. I was just all, Yes, I have to wash the clothes, and fold the clothes, but I'm not going to get into a giant inappropriate snit about how the laundry is all piled up in the basement.

My "do for myself" goal of the week was to plan out my schedule in advance, on paper, each day. I set this goal because it was a crazy, hectic week with my show and all, and I wanted to make sure I managed my time well. I knew I would be calmer and happier if I didn't have this constant stream of disorganized Oh crap! I have to do such-and-such! thoughts popping into my head all the time.

Anyway, the whole "writing down my schedule" thing went pretty well until Thursday. Monday through Wednesday I diligently wrote out a detailed schedule for each day. I got tons of stuff done. But I was also exhausted. Thursday things seemed so up-in-the-air with the two shows and the unknowns of exactly how long it would take to smear 2.5 inches of eye makeup on my face, or how long the show would take, that I didn't write out a schedule. By Friday I was kind of falling apart, exhausted from the two Thursday shows and barely hanging in. Friday we had McDonald's for lunch and Taco Bell for dinner. By Saturday the show was over and the last thing I wanted was a plan of any kind for the day.

So I kind of only sort of achieved the schedule-writing goal. I think it was helpful when I did it, but there were days where it felt like it would kill me to be on a strict schedule. I'm still trying to work out the exact level of scheduling rigidity that is beneficial to my mental health. And I could go on and on about this topic, but it's probably not that interesting to anybody besides me.

And now to discuss my goals for this upcoming week ...

I'm not going to be able to let the laundry-putting-away slide again this week. The piles in the basement are starting to be so tall that they're falling over into one big tangled mass of clothing. That's upsetting me. As with the schedule-planning issue, there is an elusive happy medium between "so relaxed it's chaotic" and "such high standards that you go crazy trying to achieve them." Right now the piles of laundry are getting much closer to the "chaotic" end of the continuum. I have to put them away. Dammit.

I think this week's "let slide" is going to be cooking-related. I'm going to try and serve at least three freezer-based meals this week. You know, because I have some Trader Joe's already-prepared things in the freezer, as well as some leftover chili. (And there are probably all kinds of other "hidden treasures" in that disgusting pit of a freezer.)

Onto my goal for what I'm going to do for myself: I am going to finish reading a book! So far in 2011 I have finished one book, and I didn't even really like it. I am in the middle of two other books, neither of which is a novel, so they are the kind of books that are easier to read simultaneously with other books. And I have a new novel that arrived on my Kindle on Thursday that I haven't even looked at. So that is a total of three books that I could possibly finish this week.

And you know what? I might even stop and read in the middle of the day! There are moments in each day where I feel like I can't possibly take care of one more household responsibility, but I feel it feels too lazy to sit on the couch and read a book during those moments. So, instead, I just go on the Internet. Because somehow reading status updates on Facebook feels way more productive than reading an actual, published book ... ?

So, those are my goals for the week: thawing and reading. Please go over to Leigh Ann's blog and say hello to her now!

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Thanks for your blog love, lady. To be honest, your laundry is stressing ME out (kidding, kidding.) Freezer meals saved my ass last week, no joke. And so did reading books. I am a YA junkie and I just read "Matched" by Ally Condie and it RULES. When Kindle enables borrowing, I'll lend it to you.

xoxox