Saturday, January 22, 2011

Show's Over, Baby

So, dangit. I broke my 2011 posting streak by not posting yesterday. I'm just gonna double up today, which isn't really the same as posting every day, but at the end of the year I'll still have 365 posts.

Anyway, the show is over. Here's how I think it went.

Thursday Matinee: Totally sucked. I was so nervous. Almost all of the audience had come in on the senior citizen tour bus, and they didn't get my jokes. Most of them just sat there with a look like, You are insane. Which, I probably was, because I also had a wardrobe malfunction in the form of my strap falling off (turns out, Velcro is not an adequate substitute for sewing), so that really threw me off my game.

Thursday Night: So much better. I was glad to have the first show under my belt. I was way more relaxed Thursday night. Unfortunately there were only 28 people in the audience (matinee had 65), so I felt like I was pretty much performing for nobody.

Friday Night: 100 people in the audience, and I knew 5 of them, so I was so nervous. When I got up on the stage, there were so many more people, so there were more tables. That meant I was a lot closer to them (picture a banquet room at a restaurant, so it's not like I was on any sort of elevated platform). I think I told my jokes okay. I slowed down my delivery a lot more and became more conversational. This also meant I stumbled a lot more because, you know, you sometimes screw up in normal conversation.

And now it's all over, and finally I feel like I have free time to do something besides rewrite the script or go to rehearsal. I'm going to read a book. And I'm going to watch a movie, which, embarrassingly, is a musical (Hairspray), which you think I'd be sick of after rehearsing/performing a show featuring songs from musicals.

I feel like I'm gonna miss the kids in the show. They were so cute. Although one of the older ones is gonna babysit for me. And seriously, asking her for her phone number felt like asking somebody out on a date. I psyched myself up for it and asked her at the very last second, after the last show. Why is it so hard for me to be somebody's employer?

Anyway, I feel like I should have some deeper takeaway from doing this show, but all I can say is that it was so fun and so scary, and I'm glad it's over. The end.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Why is watching a musical embarassing? Hairspray rocks.