Friday, January 7, 2011

Aww, you guys

Although I am not officially doing NaBloPoMo for January, I thought I might do a post based on today's prompt. And then I looked at the prompt:

Write a post using the following words: oregano, football field, blackbird, hurricane, and loop.

Here goes:
A post using the words oregano, football field, blackbird, hurricane, and loop would be a post that nobody would want to read.

The end.

But actually, I went to the NaBloPoMo site because the January blogging theme is "Friends." I've been thinking a lot about friends lately, and I was looking for a prompt that might focus my thoughts beyond the warm-fuzzy-gushy-sentimental-teary mass of emotions I feel when I think about my friends.

(What the hell oregano, football fields, blackbirds, hurricanes, and loops have to do with friends, I don't know.)

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again: You are all my friends. I know that sounds cheesy, but let me explain. In the past I have had a pretty narrow definition of friendship. I would have said that I had only a very few friends, and that many of the people I hung out with were more like acquaintances that I liked. It's not like I had something against most of my acquaintances, it's just that I didn't think we knew each other well enough to call ourselves friends. In order for a person to qualify as a friend, that person and I had to share our deepest emotions with one another.

Which is why you guys qualify as my friends. I share my feelings on this blog with you all the time, and you guys share yours back in the comments or via e-mail. And every time I get a comment or an e-mail, I get that warm-fuzzy feeling I mentioned earlier, and my whole body is buzzing with this sort of gratified energy that honestly prevents me from sleeping sometimes. And I just know I did the right thing by being honest about my feelings and encouraging others to do the same. It is only by being open and honest that we realize we are not alone in our feelings. And whether you are depressed, anxious, sad, tired, stressed, or overwhelmed, you always feel better knowing you're not the only one who feels that way.

So, thank you again for being my friends. Thank you for your comments. Just know you have made my life so, so much better.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I've had similar thoughts lately about broadening my idea of the word friend. But you, G, are my friend by any definition. :-)

(Unless we are in some bizarre world where friend means I hate you, or something.)

Yeah.

Andrella said...

=)

Kimberly said...

I feel like a weirdo sometimes since I kind of feel like I'm friends with you even though we've only actually seen each other like 3-5 times :) It's probably something akin to people who think they are friends with celebrities just cause they hear about them all the time - haha!