Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Virtual Coffee

Photobucket

So, you remember the deal with Virtual Coffee at Lucky Number 13 with Amy, right? You write a post consisting of the random stuff you might discuss with a friend over coffee, and then everybody links up at Amy's. And it's like we're having coffee together.

So, if you were really here for coffee, I'd apologize for the mess in my house. We have this big impending storm that threatens to shut down all of Chicagoland, so I figured I'd have plenty of time indoors to clean later. Because of course, cleaning is what I would do first when faced with the glorious possibility of a snow day. Not, you know, read or watch TV or attempt to control my stir-crazy child.

Which would bring us, my dear coffee buddy, to the inevitable topic of the weather. It's the storm of the century! Snopacalypse! Snowmageddon! Snow ... my ... gawd.

Snowverkill?

Truthfully, I'm excited about the weather. If we really get the predicted two feet of snow, this will be the biggest storm I've ever experienced. The last huge storm was in 1999, and we didn't move here until 2004.

And, you guys? Growing up in California, the idea of the snow day seemed like just about the most awesome, exciting thing ever. I mean, it was an unexpected day off of school. All days off are fun, but imagine how much more fun a day off would be if you weren't expecting it!

Alas, I had no snow days as a kid. The closest I ever came was in 8th grade when most of the parents kept their kids home from school during the L.A. Riots, and my parents made me go to school anyway. (The upshot: The 50 or so of us who were present got free popsicles.) Then in 10th grade there were massive fires in the mountains behind my high school, and so we got out early. But riots and fires are both sad. Snow is not sad. It's pretty and white and clean, and you can make angels in it.

So tomorrow might be my first snow day! And really I don't have a job, and my kid doesn't go to school on Wednesdays anyway, but I'll consider it a snow day if my gym training and library storyhour get canceled.

So, okay, we've gotten the required weather talk out of the way.

Next I'd like to tell you that I think my blog has taken a big step, having gotten its first trollish hate comment from a stranger. This occurred on yesterday's post, and at first I was kind of mad. I do marvel at the stupidity of a person who would read a random, unpopular personal blog, one where a person was legitimately reaching out to others and baring her true feelings and actually admitting to crying in a public place, and then that reader's response was not to just click away and read something else, but to instead take the time to leave a scathing attack comment that basically takes the offending party's side and rubs a little more salt into the wound. I mean, this isn't the Huffington Post or Fox News, or any other popular site where you would assume there would be hurtful comments. Who takes the time to attack some random stranger on the Internet? Well, I mean a lot of people do, which brings me back to my whole "marveling at the stupidity of people."

But those people are in the minority. And in the bright(ish) light of day, I am actually a little bit excited about the idea that a random stranger is reading my blog and attacking me. Not like I'm inviting further attacks, but, you know, you haven't made it to the big time until somebody hates you.

Well, maybe that isn't true. Nobody hates Tom Hanks.

And also, I haven't really made it to the big time.

Case in point: My major goal for the day is to take a picture of my cat sleeping in the linen closet. Because you guys, is there anything cuter in the whole entire world than a cat sleeping in a linen closet on a snow day?

No, no there isn't.

Thank you for having coffee with me. Now hurry up and get home before the storm hits.

4 comments:

BaBoozle said...

While I agree that I should have just kept my mouh shut, you are wrong in all your other assumptions. I am not some random stranger. I am an editor for a magazine and someone recommended your blog when I was looking for a writer for a new column.

And while i do think that you are funny, you lack the personal accountability and initiative that I'm looking for in a writer. If you can't keep your house clean, teach your son the alphabet or put together basic meals for your family, then how would I expect you to make deadlines?

Anyway, I should have stopped reading your blog a long time ago when i found myself more and more frustrated with your actions (fast food twice in one day?!? Who does that?) but there is something inherently likable about you and I guess in the back of my mind I kept hoping for a turnaround. Also, I think your commenters are doing you a great injustice by not nudging you to live up to your potential. They are enabling your self-defeating attitude with their pity.

I wish you luck and will check back with you in the future in hopes that things have improved for you.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm....BB sounds full of BS. My brother doesn't like Tom Hanks due to his opinions on multiple issues. The fact that he starred in the 80's sitcom, Bosom Buddies, reduced his credibility.
-Carol

Kimberly said...

Oh.My.God. BaBoozle's self-importance and arrogance is HILARIOUS and, I have to admit, a little scary. Like there's really someone like this out there??? A real person? Wow.

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

wow. well, hmmmmm.....i'll stick with what my mama told me when i was little, "if you don't have anything nice to say..."
so we were hit by the storm bad...lots of ice, freezing rain and the power has been flickering all day. and no school again tomorrow! thanks for coffee!