Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lucky


Every time I restart Weight Watchers, I buy myself a little present. Or, okay, several presents. The presents say I can reward myself with other things besides food!

Weight Watchers gets very expensive. See, the thing is, a pair of shoes is like $100. A candy bar is like 75 cents.

Anyway, this time around I bought myself this wishbone necklace. It's a Tiffany knockoff (oh, sorry, Tiffany inspired) that I got at the site Eve's Addiction. (I know, it sounds like a dirty site, but it's really just a jewelry store.)

To justify my purchase, I told myself that the necklace would be like a Weight Watchers good luck charm. I began to think that a wishbone is really only lucky if you break off the longer piece, so to extend the metaphor (a bit too far) I decided that if I have both pieces of the wishbone, I couldn't lose. And if I have both sides, I can theoretically choose which side I break off. In other words, I make my own luck. The whole making my own luck thing is kind of a theme for me these days, because as I've said, I'm done blaming anybody or anything else for my weight except for myself.

Yes! I would wear the wishbone necklace every day! There it would be, around my neck, serving as a constant reminder of the control I have over my life.

I ordered the necklace Friday. It came yesterday. I wore it for the first time today.

And four hours into its wearing, the necklace broke.

You know what it means when your highly symbolic talisman of luck and power breaks? It means you shouldn't make up stupid extended metaphors to justify the purchase of jewelry. And that you should just buy from Tiffany directly instead of buying cheap knockoffs.

Also I kind of blame the broken necklace for my current overeating of Wheat Thins and drinking white zinfandel.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Oh NO!!! You should definitely go back and buy the genuine Tiffany article. It *is* the reason for the wheat thins!

((hugs))

Katie said...

I think that means you should just wear the big half. Because the wishbone broke and you get to pick which half you keep. AND YOU KEEP THE LUCKY HALF! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I didn't know how significant that was!