Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowpocalpyse Redux

Well, I'll give you a couple of snow pictures, since I promised.

Nathan getting ready to shovel.


Shoveling, waist-deep in snow

Blah, blah, blah ... snow ... yadda, yadda, yadda ... shoveling ...

I feel like you're all sick of people's snow pictures by now. Oh my gosh, look how high this snow is! Look, the snow is blowing! Here's a snowman we built! We dug a tunnel in the snow!

And on and on and on.

So, for a change of pace, here are two shots from our trip to Maui in August 2009.




Now, don't we all feel better?

So, here's a recap of Snow Day #1: The stuck-indoors-with-nowhere-to-go part was cozy and relaxing. I put together some split pea soup in the Crock Pot and some wheat bread in my bread maker. I whipped up a batch of chocolate-chip cookies. You have to make cookies on a snow day. You have to. The Cookie Rule supersedes any other dietary restrictions you may have at the moment.

See, cookies, soup, bread, cozy, love, family ... all that crap.

But then there was the part where I had to try to dig out the driveway with a snow shovel. I became paranoid, very early on, that we would not be able to get our car out in case of an emergency. I needed to dig out the driveway now! And with all that shoveling, the emergency was going to be my very own heart attack. For those who live in non-snowy climates, let me paint a picture for you. It turns out, snow is actually made of water, and water is heavy. Where I live we got 15 inches of snow, but with the snow drifts, there were piles in my driveway that were about 3-4 feet high.

O ... M ... G.

I went out twice to shovel. Both times, I had to stop when I got sort of light-headed. Bill went out and did the third shoveling, which was not up to Shannon Shoveling Standards, but at least we can get one car out of the driveway.

The snow day had me thinking about what's important in life. As I said yesterday, I'm just so grateful to have a roof over my head. I was also grateful for the opportunity to slow down the pace of life and focus on my family for a day.

Until about 3 p.m. when Bill and I got into an argument over the dishwasher.

Good times.

Don't worry, all is forgiven. We can still stay married, even if one of us has an irrational disgust for tiny little flecks of dishwasher goo on glasses.

But, all signs point to We Need to Get Out of the House. Today many places are still closed, such as Nathan's preschool and the high school where we were supposed to go for a little program Nathan's doing there. The building where my yoga class meets is open, but I didn't go to class because of Nathan's school being closed. The gym is open, and I'm shooting to get there, but (and I know this sounds like the worst excuse ever) I have to wait until the trash is picked up because my driveway is blocked by two trash cans and several boxes that Bill cleaned out of the basement this week. Normally we put the trash cans on the side of the driveway, but there are 8-foot piles of snow there (possible exaggeration). And I know that was more than you needed to know about my trash-pickup situation, but I just wanted to explain why I'm not at the gym RIGHT NOW doing two days' worth of exercise.

And I want to go to Target, and the library ... and, and, and ... OMG HELLO OUTSIDE WORLD!



1 comment:

JOSIE said...

The first picture of Nathan leaning on the shovel is just precious!