Saturday, February 5, 2011

Insert Title Here

Let me start by noting, once again, that I have no real problems. I have a loving family and a roof over my head, and we all have our health.

(Oh no, oh no, OH NO, my hypochondriac self is freaking out that I said the thing about our health. Knock on wood, KNOCK ON WOOD, for effing crying out loud knock on every piece of wood in my house!)

But, strictly in the category of Not Real Problems, I've had a little bit of a tough week. I wronged somebody, and then somebody insulted me, and then the issue came up with the trainer that I'm sort of fat. It's been kind of an ego-bruising week.

So I was super-duper excited when the director of the Tonys show e-mailed me and thanked me again for writing the script, and said that multiple people asked her if I had trained with The Second City. And she (the director) said I just have a Second City vibe.

Anyway, she said I should audition for the next community theater show, which is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I wasn't really going to audition, seeing as I don't think of myself as an actress. Also I thought most of the cast would be children and I would feel incredibly tall among them. But then she said that she wants all the non-dwarf parts to be played by adults, so I think I might give it a shot.

This got me thinking, maybe I should take classes at The Second City. I have always felt like I'm a little too old for that, seeing as all famous Second City alum started there in their early 20s. But, okay, let's get real for a minute. I am not going to be a famous Second City alum. I am just going to be a suburban housewife taking classes for fun. Which then begs the question, is it worth the time and money? It's kind of a major commute, too.

I don't know. I'll think about it.

Maybe I should just get a job instead of draining my husband's income to take a stupid comedy class.

Oh God, it's 1950.

In other news, or possibly the same news, I am bored. I wake up every day wanting something exciting to happen, or wanting to make something exciting happen, and it's like in the dullness of winter I can't think of any ideas. I wouldn't say I'm so much depressed as just frustrated by the monotony.

But, you know, that's life. That's winter.

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I think I may be feeling the same way. I have ideas about who I am that I wish were true, but I look at my life and they're just....not. Thank God, I have no real problems either but there's something missing. I'm bored, yeah. But more days than not, I just feel sadness at another day full of busy nothings ahead of me.

I think you should go to Second City, but only if it wouldn't make you feel worse.

(((HUGS)))

Andrella said...

Perhaps a class at 2ndCity would be just what you need to make you less bored. Hell, I am applying for another masters degree for that very purpose - I don't have a job (except raising my children and making every substantial decision for their futures - hello, stress?? - and I have a master's already, but somehow I can justify adding $90K to my student loan debt by going back to school. Do it.

Surely there's a "just do it" Seinfeld episode you can refer to for convincing? No?