Monday, April 25, 2011

Well

I went to Weight Watchers this morning, and I had lost 5.6 pounds.  People congratulated me, and I explained to them that this past week had been like a well-controlled experiment.  There had not been one second of cheating, because I knew I couldn't stand to have another week where I gained because there had been a few instances of cheating. 

I wish I could be that disciplined every week.  But sometimes eating situations come up that are outside of my control.  For example ...

Tomorrow the good people at the Whirlpool corporation have invited me to attend a free lunch in downtown Chicago.  They'll probably give me a free washing machine to give away on my blog, right?  Right?  Anyway, I am excited to get another blog perk, but I'm nervous about my ability to be a good eater at the lunch.  I have a huge problem with nervous eating in situations where I feel uncomfortable, and lunches where I don't know anybody qualify as big-time uncomfortable situations for me.  I thought about taking a marker and straight-out writing "NO DESSERT" on the back of my hand, but that seems tacky.  I don't want to ruin my beautiful hands with the super-cool "crackle polish" manicure I got today.  Random Internet reference photo of somebody with nicer-looking nails wearing the polish:

Anyway, so I think maybe I'll wear my bracelet that says Hope in different languages, as a secret signal to myself that there is hope for my weight-loss if I skip dessert. 

In completely different news, we finally got my kid's Little Tikes race car bed put together.  The assembly only required 8 screws, and I couldn't get two of them in to save my life.  I was beyond frustrated.  Finally my stepdad figured out the problem and solved it, and then finally my husband went out and bought a mattress for it.  And so with the shopping, the waiting for delivery, the removal from the big-ass box, the getting rid of the big-ass box, the pain-in-the-ass assembly, and the effort to find the perfect mattress ... about half the battle was complete.  The other half involved getting Nathan to sleep in the dang thing.  The first night, which was Saturday, he fell asleep right away, but came to sleep in our bed at 4 a.m.  The second night, last night, it was a major production to get him to fall asleep, but then he was there all night.  So if we could just get him to go to sleep quickly and stay asleep all night, we'd be golden.

And I'm loving not having him in my bed in the evenings.  I can go in there and read or watch TV without freaking out that the lights and noise will wake him up.  And, as I said awhile back, it's better for me to be hanging out upstairs at night, versus downstairs where all the food is kept. 

That's the news from here.  I'll be back at you guys tomorrow with that free washing machine giveaway, I'm sure. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Shannon! You're my inspiration to lose this week :). Have fun tomorrow.
-Emily

tabysu1 said...

Amazing!!!! Best news ever :) Way to go. Tab

Leigh Ann said...

So excited for you. LIke, SO excited. You're inspiring me to lose this week too, even without any of the fancy WW stuff. :)