Saturday, April 9, 2011

Spring is Here! and Other Positive Affirmations


I think any day you get to use a melon baller is a good day. When I was a kid, I always wanted my mom to make melon balls. Then when I got my first apartment and only had four dishes that I got secondhand, I still had a melon baller. Melon ballers are kind of wasteful in a useful way. See, you have to throw away a lot of melon when you make melon balls, and that's kind of good when your kid asks you to buy a giant watermelon at Costco, but your husband doesn't like watermelon and you know that you and that kid can't finish it alone.

I put the melon balls in that big plastic bowl, thinking that if I absentmindedly grabbed the melon balls by the handful, it might be kind of like eating popcorn.

It was not.

Speaking of popcorn, I really want to take Nathan to the movies to see Hop. It looks so cute. Full confession, I was thisclose to buying myself the Build-a-Bear of the bunny from Hop. Anyway today I offered Nathan the options of going to Hop, the park, or family swim at the gym pool. In my mind I was thinking, "Come on, Hop!" and I admit it was largely for that totally-bad-for-you, 11-Weight-Watchers-points-for-the-small-size popcorn. But Nathan picked the pool, and then the park if we have time.

The park, of course, is the best choice in terms of taking advantage of the spring-like weather. It's 62 degrees out there, and the sun is shining. I hear birds chirping, and the air smells like flowers. I have decided, once again, to believe that the weather will be pleasant from here on out. What's the harm in harboring weather-related delusions?

Except every time I try to talk to somebody at the gym about my weather delusions, they shoot me down and say, "No, it's gonna be cold again." Which just goes to show you that I'm not the most negative, glass-is-half-empty person in the world.

No comments: