Monday, April 11, 2011

My Brain Hurts

I mean, you know, my brain doesn't literally hurt. Otherwise I'd be freaking out that I have a brain tumor or something, and demanding a bunch of MRIs and the like.

But, my brain can't make the transition between last week and this week. Last week was all rehearsals and basic survival and Evil Queen and stuff. This week is all "do all the crap I said I was gonna do after the play ended" and make something meaningful of my life.

Dammit.

I need to get back on track with Weight Watchers. I need to come up with a more rigorous gym plan. I need to clean out my garage. I need to find some kind of paid employment because we just did our taxes (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and I feel like we don't make enough money. And I'm not saying we can't pay our bills or afford the stuff we need, just that I feel like I waste too much money on all the stuff I want.

I want a bike so I can ride outdoors all summer instead of taking Spin at the gym. I want a new bed for Nathan from Ikea. I want a new car, because seriously, another dumb thing broke on it, and I know that it's a minor thing (one of the back seat belts is jammed), but that car has about 100 minor things wrong with it. For example, the little door to the gas tank doesn't open up with the lever anymore, so you have to get out and pry the door open with a small garden shovel. Nothing says "ghetto" like having to pry open your gas tank with a shovel. (Though it was worse when the driver's side door wouldn't open from the inside and you had to reach out the window and open it from the outside. In January. I got that fixed. After like a year.)

My husband is stressed out. I am stressed out. And I think both of us are envisioning that the other will be of some sort of stress-relieving aid, and instead we just grumble about how stressed out we are.

But I will say that I had the best swim of 2011 today. I realize this is of little interest to people, except that I said yesterday that I was frustrated about swimming, and I think it's always nice to report positive developments after you complain about something.

So today, due to various scheduling issues, I found myself on the way to the gym without having eaten breakfast. Trainer Jill is always telling me to eat more protein, even though all the wonderful foods in the world are low in protein. I've just never been a huge fan of meat. I eat it, but I would never crave it, you know?

Anyway, I decided to give the Subway breakfast a try. I found the Subway breakfast to be kind of nasty. To be fair, I only got the egg white sandwich with American cheese, so maybe the meat-based sandwiches are better. But the woman (the "Sandwich Artist") pulled out some white frozen blobs of egg, and put them on an English muffin and placed the whole thing in the toaster. I could have just eaten a Jimmy Dean's D'Lites at home. And then it's like, am I supposed to get the regular Subway toppings on it? I asked the lady if the breakfast sandwiches were good with toppings, and she said, "It depends on the person." Well, duh. Thanks for that.

Still, the frozen egg-blob sandwich fueled a great swim, which is good because normally I am starving to death after about 1,000 yards. But I swam a good 2,200 yards, and it was one of those awesome exercise moments where all my muscles started to hum with that good kind of exertion that was hard but still kind of awesome. (I realize this sounds like a pathetic "that's what she said.")

Then I had a Starbucks caramel macchiato for lunch.

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Oh, my. We've just done our taxes as well and, though I wasn't there while David was actually doing them, his account of the whole thing was enough to make me want to weep.

What's worse is the budget. Even with cutting all the corners, my lawyer husband isn't able to afford the lifestyle you might think either.

(((HUGS))))