Friday, December 3, 2010

Today's Post #2 of 2: The Funny ... ?

If you didn't see, I put another post below this one. That one was serious. And then I said I would put up a funny post up above that post.

Except, between that post and this one, I went to the gym to work out with the trainer, and I dropped a 45-pound plate on my foot. And that's not really funny, unless you're into slapstick. In which case I say, why are you laughing at my pain?!

You know those people who brag that they have a really high pain threshold? Yeah, I'm not one of them. I have a very low pain threshold. But, in a somewhat ironic combination, I also have a hard time admitting defeat. I'm always the one who is all, "No, no, I'm fine! I can totally keep going! I'll rally!" I'm like 1996 Olympic gymnast Kerri Strug, except with less athletic skill and a more normal-pitched voice.

So, I'm there trying to be all, "I'm fine, leave me alone, please don't let me interrupt the workout," while at the same time I'm thinking I really need to lie down because I'm gonna pass out from the pain. And then I did the whole rest of the workout lying on the bench with an ice pack on my foot. Then the trainer gave me a bunch of instructions for icing/elevating my foot. And we had to fill out an accident report, which, by the way, is my family's second report this week because Nathan had an incident in the daycare on Sunday. I'm pretty sure the gym is going to cancel my membership because my family represents too much of a liability for the park district.

The thing is, I was in a bad mood before I got to the gym. I hadn't done cardio in a few days, and I was planning on doing some swimming after the workout with the trainer, to try to boost my mood. And having the trainer say things like, "If you wake up in the middle of the night in throbbing pain, you need to see a doctor," was making me feel pretty sorry for myself. My kid and his incessant demands were bringing me down, and the thought of being at home limping all over the house trying to take care of his needs was just frustrating me. So I did do a few laps in the pool, trying to do one-footed flip-turns, but my heart wasn't in it. And now I'm home complaining about things.

So, this post was completely whiny and un-funny. Just to add a teeny-tiny funny element to it, I present to you the hilarious return of Seinfeld character Jackie Chiles, on funnyordie.com. Because I'm not the only one who can't get enough of a sitcom that went off the air 12 years ago.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Owie! I hope if feels better today!