Monday, December 27, 2010

She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Am I the only one who always has that Ben Folds song stuck in my head all day on December 26? You know, the one that starts with, "Six a.m., day after Christmas"?

Thankfully, I was not up at 6 a.m. the day after Christmas, though I guess in California that would have technically been 8 a.m. in the time zone I'm used to. Except, I don't know how long you can argue the whole, "Well, it's x o'clock here, so it's (x + 2) o'clock where I'm from." Eventually it just looks like a pathetic excuse for why you're lazy and wanting to go to bed at 8:00 p.m. But hey, give me a break. That's 10:00 p.m. where I'm from.

Anyway. Yesterday began with a special behind-the-scenes tour of a local fire station, which my mom's friend's son (who is a firefighter) arranged for Nathan. Unfortunately Nathan was so overwhelmed with excitement that he stood in total silence, making us look like a bunch of ingrates.

Most interesting fact I learned: firefighters' turnout gear is machine washable!

After that we had our annual day-after-Christmas breakfast outing with my grandparents. December 26 is actually their wedding anniversary. By modern standards, having a wedding on December 26 seems sort of logistically challenging, because how do you prepare for a wedding and for Christmas at the same time. But I guess during WWII, weddings were much simpler affairs.

Anyway, my grandparents have been married 68 years, and they are the cutest couple ever. My grandpa got my grandma a necklace that came in one of those little jewelry boxes that is held by a stuffed bear, and ... OMG, a bear! Cutest thing ever! And my grandpa was so excited about it. Oh you guys, I would go on, but I'm melting in a puddle of my own sentimental tears right now.

Oh wait. Must ... maintain ... image of ... unflappable cynicism.

But seriously, my grandparents have got to be on the of the all-time great love stories. Did you know they kiss every single time they're in an elevator?

I'm never going to be part of a great love story. I'm much too cynical for that.

Anyway, we celebrated with my grandparents.

Then I took a nap. And it was the best, most awesome nap, the kind where you wake up all sweaty and feel like you probably sweat out whatever was bothering you before the nap.

Then I didn't even shower off before my husband and I went out on a no-kid date while my parents babysat. We ended up at chain Mexican restaurant El Torito, which many people wouldn't think was exciting, but those people don't live in the south suburbs of Chicago, where the most authentic Mexican food is at Taco Bell. (Locals know I am kidding here, because we also have Cilantro, but it is so gross.)

Also, I'm adding the El Torito corn cake thing to my list of things that I will eat when I find out I have a month to live. (Copycat recipe! But where do you buy masa in the south Chicago suburbs? Seriously, somebody tell me.)

Anyway, after El Torito, we got home and put Nathan to bed, and then I stayed up too late reading a book. I feel like I need to finish it before 2010 ends so I can add it to my 2010 book list. But then it got really good, and I will probably easily finish it before 2010 is over. That will leave me to question whether or not it would be fair to start another book before year's end and then put it on my 2011 list. Oh, the problems I have! Also, oh the delusions I have, thinking I'll have so much reading time in the coming days.

So, today is the 27th, and I started my day at 6 a.m. hiking up a mountain with my parents. Because people in California do stuff like that. They get up and hike up mountains at the crack of dawn, and then they get together for vegan breakfasts afterward. In Chicago, it seems like all people do is stay indoors and eat (although not Mexican food).

Speaking of eating, and Mexican food, we got to go to Baja Fresh for lunch, which is just a big ball of awesomeness because all the Chicago-area Baja Fresh establishments have closed. And oh, oh, they had cranberry salsa for the chips.

And we took Nathan to the park, and now we're packing up our stuff for Leg 3 of the trip, which is at my dad and stepmom's house. And how the hell do three people make such a mess in two days that it takes over an hour to clean up?

So, tomorrow is Christmas Part 3, which is going to be kind of a problem because I explained to my kid that Christmas was over, and wouldn't come again until next year. Think he'll believe tomorrow that a year has actually passed since Christmas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going pretty well and you're having a good time! I miss Christmas tamales after living in Tucson, AZ. And there should be masa in Jewel/Dominicks by 'regional' foods if not the flour/baking aisle. Maybe Trader Joes or Whole foods has it too?

I love the Mexican food at El Gallo Tapatio in Crestwood off Cicero & 135th and there's one off 111th too. I don't know if it's changed at all since I was there last, but it's just a small strip mall place with authentic Mexican. I miss it terribly.

Happy New Year!!!