Friday, April 16, 2010

The big summer preview!

Yesterday we had temps in the 80s. The 80s! In April!

So we went to the garage and got out two plastic containers with the most beautiful labels ever: "Summer" and "Wading Pool."

In "Summer" we found beach towels, sidewalk chalk, and some balls that float in the pool. The towels smelled like citronella candles, and that scent, mixed with the smell of our sunscreen, gave us the full summer olfactory experience.

"Wading Pool" contained not only the basic inflatable pool, but this other contraption that goes over it and hooks up to the hose to produce a rainstorm. I kind of downplayed that top part because I was a little light-headed after blowing up the pool, and the top part is inflatable, too.

After adding 5-6 large stock pots of hot water to the freezing-cold hose water, the pool was a comfortable temperature. I quickly whipped up a picnic lunch in the kitchen while Nathan chomped at the bit to go in the pool. Then I ate while Nathan splashed:

Living in a cold climate really makes you appreciate the little things that signal warmer weather. Like fruit:

My favorites are strawberries and nectarines. What are yours?

The pool got a little chilly, so we played with sidewalk chalk for awhile:
The reflection of the tulips in the glass door is a cool touch, don't you think?

Today our string of good-weather luck has ended, and it's overcast with temps in the 60s. But now I've had a preview of the summer, and I'm hooked. Oh Mr. Sun, I love you so much, I even paid tribute to you in my art:



No comments: