Thursday, April 15, 2010

The big challenge: REVISED

Remember two whole days ago when I wrote about trying to go to the gym 20 times in April so I could get a t-shirt? Well, since then, as in yesterday, I embarked on a new fitness challenge.

My friend Carolyn and I joined a class at the gym that is supposed to train you to run the 5K circuit that they have in our hometown over the summer. It's sort of like the Couch to 5K, except with a teacher. And this teacher? She is one of those people who is so fit in such a perfectly-proportioned way that you can't believe it. She's not just thin, but toned, except not in a gross bodybuilding way. Her skin is perfectly tanned. Her hair is perfect. Her teeth are sparkling white and straight. This woman is so perfect I might consider sleeping with her. And oh, did I mention I see her dropping off her two kids in the gym daycare when I drop off Nathan? And that the younger one is exactly Nathan's age? And that her abs would suggest otherwise?

Anyway, she's one of those people who eats, sleeps, and breathes fitness. She's a trainer and instructor at not only our gym, but another one across town as well. She rides in 100-mile bike races and does triathlons. And she says things like, "Tomorrow I have a training appointment at 5:15 a.m., then I'm teaching Spin & Sculpt at 6, and then I'll be off-and-on at the gym on the floor until 10 p.m."

I wish I could be that passionate about something that is good for me. Or that I could incorporate one of my hobbies into professional work. But until Professional Cat Appreciator becomes a real position, I'm stuck.

Anyway, so we're in this class that's supposed to take us from total schlubs to 5K runners in six weeks. Each week we run a little bit more. Last night we ran 5 minutes, then walked 2, then repeated this two more times. I felt exhausted, but it seemed do-able.

But here's where a wrench gets thrown in the whole t-shirt-earning plan. The running class has homework. You're supposed to repeat that week's workout at least 3 more times on your own. Now, granted this week's workout is only 21 minutes long, but it's a major energy-drain and sweat-builder, and I don't know that I want to try to do it before another exercise class. And I sure as hell know I won't be willing to try to do it after another exercise class. Which means that I'll probably have to cut out at least a couple of classes a week.

So I'm not making any promises on the t-shirt now.

But hey, Running Instructor Barbie (actual name: Amy, and she's very nice) told us that it is pointless to work out too much, which makes me feel a little bit better.

No comments: