Thursday, June 9, 2011

We're Meeeeelllltttttttiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggggg!

I know I haven't been blogging as regularly in the past few days.  There's only one excuse for that, and that is the all-consuming, searing heat.  The temps have been in the high 90s for the past few days, with approximately 800% humidity.

Well, outdoors it's more like 60% humidity, but inside my house the air conditioner decided to stop working.  So, and I hope you'll excuse my use of technical meteorological jargon here, we're sweating like pigs.  And currently we're three hours into the four-hour window for the air conditioning repairperson's arrival.  I'm starting to lose hope.

Meanwhile the heat has sapped all my patience, and I find every task overwhelming, including blogging.  We're all struggling to sleep at night, especially Nathan, who hasn't been getting to bed until 10 p.m.  And during the day we're all crabby, and we've been getting to spend a lot of time with "Mad Nathan."

I'm frustrated because I love summer, and I wait all year for the warmer weather.  But a record-setting heat wave with no air conditioning?  That ... is what the general Internetry refers to as a "first-world problem."

I feel sorriest for the cat.  We don't leave fans on when we aren't home, so she's sitting in the hot house with her fur coat.  I had to pick her up yesterday and I was like, "Eww, gross, you're all hot and furry!"

The good news is, I've had a really easy time achieving my goal to spend as much time as possible outside the house.  Monday Nathan and I went to the mall on a Father's Day gift-buying mission.  While there I bought myself this bling at Sephora:


It's a locket that has solid perfume inside.  I'm a little bit concerned that Hello Kitty is not appropriate for a white midwestern suburban housewife, because I kind of tend to think the key demographic for Hello Kitty is little girls and tiny Asian women who are the size of little girls.  And I'm thinking it might be a little bit too blinged-out for a white person who schleps around in jeans and flip-flops.  But, as somebody told me on Facebook when I was contemplating some Hello Kitty Doc Martens, life is too short to worry about particular fashion items being appropriate. 
(I will say that I don't think the "life is short" rule justifies completely egregious fashion choices, like the skin-tight pants with florescent splatters that I saw a larger-butted woman wearing at the gym yesterday.  But hopefully it's okay for me to wear a simple necklace.)

In other "pointless spending" news, I highly recommend the Bath & Body Works products in S'Mores and Blueberry Waffle flavors.  They only have the soap and hand sanitizer in those scents, but they are really good.  

Yesterday we went to the pool.  The pool is sort of the center of the social scene when you're a suburban housewife, so you always catch up on some gossip.  However, as a side note, it is hard to catch up on gossip when you're experiencing the burning pain of sunscreen in your eyes, so I am not recommending Neutrogena Wet Skin sunscreen spray.  


No comments: