Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Night Leftovers

BWS tips button

I realized last week that the other Friday Night Leftovers participants tend to do their updates in bullet points.  I'm not very good with bullet points, because I tend to want to write entire paragraphs.  Oh well, I can put bullet points next to paragraphs.  It's my blog and I can do what I want.  YEAH.  WAY TO TAKE A STAND. 
  • First off, the AC repair guys are here!  For those who haven't kept up on this oh-so-interesting saga of whining, we found out a few weeks ago that our air conditioner was totaled and needed to be replaced.  Fast-forward through three weeks of research, bids, excessive mugginess, and waiting for parts to arrive ... and the AC guys showed up, right when they said they would.  I'm really looking forward to my weekend of air conditioning.  
  • You might recall that I broke a Fiestaware plate in the discontinued rose color.  You might also recall the minor detail that we spent four hours at urgent care Wednesday having a piece of that plate removed from my husband's foot.  Is it wrong that yesterday I began actively seeking replacements for the plate?  Is that like putting your dog to sleep and then stopping at the shelter for a new dog on the way home from the vet?  (No, I am not comparing an inanimate plate to a pet.  I'm just saying that after a family member suffers some bodily harm, is it wrong to immediately think about replacing the cause of harm?)  Anyway.  I got on ebay yesterday to look for the plates.  First off, I have to admit that I have never purchased anything off ebay.  I've casually bid on a few items, but I never put that much attention into it, and therefore have gotten outbid.  Part of the cause of my apathy is that these items were either Fiestaware or depression glass, two things that are extremely fragile and have very high shipping costs.  So you're never going to get a great deal when the shipping cost effectively doubles the price of the item.  Now, I did get an alert from estatesales.net about an estate sale in the city today, and they have plates in the rose color, as well as the coveted discontinued lilac color.  And seriously, I have just devoted a long paragraph to the topic of pottery collection.  Do you guys hate me?  
  • I just joined Pinterest.  After reading about it on 50 million other blogs, I thought I'd give it a shot.  I guess the same thing happened when I finally jumped on the bandwagon and joined Twitter, although unlike Twitter, I actually see the point of Pinterest.  I wish I had thought of Pinterest.  For those who don't know, Pinterest is a site where you basically have several virtual bulletin boards on which you can pin items you like.  Each board has a theme, like Books to Read, For the Home, and Recipes.  Whenever you come across an item you want to save, on any website, you can pin it to your board for safekeeping.  Not only is Pinterest a useful organizational tool, it's also a giant time-suck!  You can spend hours on there looking at people's pretty items, and then repinning those items to your boards.  You can create an entire fantasy home, fantasy wardrobe, fantasy life on there.  All for free. Oh, and you know the only items on my board that people have repinned?  Fiestaware. 
  • We'll probably see Cars 2 this weekend.  I'm not a huge fan of Cars 1, because that Lightning McQueen was so obnoxious and cocky.  But at least Cars 2 has a bit of an international element, and maybe they have jazzed it up a little more than the excessively-predictable, hackneyed-storylined Cars 1
  • Speaking of predictable, you do not need to Netflix Life As We Know It.  I watched it last night and it was pretty dumb. 
  • I'm reading total YA trash novel Pretty Little Liars right now.  I've come to terms with my love for YA, but this one feels a bit like slumming it.  I haven't seen font size and spacing like this since my Baby-Sitters Club days.  And by the way, why can't they do a "10 years later" for the Baby-Sitters Club, like they've done for Sweet Valley High and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?  I would totally buy that book. 
  • I made my flight arrangements for BlogHer San Diego yesterday.  I went on the hotel's website, and you guys, I am excited about a trip to a hotel alone.  I'm going to go to the beach alone and swim in the pool alone and, most importantly, sleep alone.  It's not my husband who I'm eager to get away from, sleeping-wise.  (And I do mean sleeping, not that other thing that sleeping is used as a euphemism for.)  I'm more eager to get away from the four-year-old who ends up in our bed most nights, especially since the AC broke and his room is so hot.  
  • I wish my blog was important enough to be represented by the first mom blogger talent agent, The Sway Group.  But when I went on their site and saw the heavy-hitters they represent, I realize they're way out of my league.  It's sort of like starring in a cable ad for a local car dealership, and thinking you deserve the same representation as George Clooney.  Or, more accurately, playing the Evil Queen in a community theater production production of Snow White, and thinking you deserve the same representation as George Clooney.  
  • Sunday is our seven-year anniversary.  Since we did the whole babysitter thing last week for Bill's birthday, we probably won't go out again.  I'm thinking I'll just see if the library has a DVD of The Seven-Year Itch, and we can watch it after Nathan goes to bed.  Yay us and our wild life.
  • Time for camp drop-off.  They're going to the Splash Pad today, except it's only like 62 degrees out.  Boo, weather.  
Have a good weekend, everyone!  

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I've looked at Pinterest, but not signed up yet. I already have so many things that suck away my time. But it looks really tempting, I think it is only a matter of time before I sign up.

Danifred said...

Happy Anniversary!

I have a pinterest account, but I find that I just can't keep up with everything I have to do. I wish I had more time to look and wish and dream :)