Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Keep Calm

Due to my recent frugality, I haven't bought myself a present in awhile.  But today I was in a store, and I thought, It's time to buy myself a present.  

Here it is:


In case you can't tell, it's a necklace that says Keep Calm and Write On, with a picture of an old-fashioned typewriter. 

I'm generally not a huge fan of the "Keep Calm" posters, which are takeoffs on the British WWII poster that said Keep Calm and Carry On.


From what I've read, the poster was never actually displayed in England during the war.  It was created for use in case of a full-scale German invasion of England, which, umm, like hell anybody would keep calm.  Somebody discovered the poster in, like, the 90s or something, and ever since then it has become trendy as decor, whether in its original form or in some sort of variation.  I've seen Keep Calm and Go to Target (with the crown replaced by a bulls-eye), Keep Calm and Bake Cookies, and all manner of hobbies which one is supposed to keep calm and practice. 

The thing is, I don't really like the idea that a poster created in case of a horrific war-related event just becomes something cool for twenty-somethings to display on throw pillows in their living rooms.  Though I do like this variation:

My motto

But anyway, I bought the Keep Calm and Write On necklace.  Because two of the most important things I need to do are keep calm and write.  I mean, not that writing is as important as food, water, and shelter, but it is my favorite hobby.  And just this morning I was thinking, Why do I write this blog?  I don't care about making money off this blog or any other writing endeavor.

I do it because I love it.  I write because, cheesy as it sounds, that is what my soul needs.  

And because I'm wired so wackily that, sometimes, writing is the only way I can keep calm and carry on.  

1 comment:

Mtake said...

Hugs and much love to you, dear Shannon.