Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm just gonna bullet-point it

  • I got picked to test an iPad app in exchange for $35.  I won't say the name of the app, because that's just mean, but it was so boring.  It was basically a simulation game, along the lines of Farmville or Frontierville, except the whole thing was based on planting and harvesting flowers/fruit.  I don't enjoy gardening in real life, why would I enjoy doing it on my iPad?  In the questionnaire about the app, it asked who I would recommend the game to, and I felt like writing "people I don't like."  But I was nice and didn't. 
  • But speaking of flowers, I just finished the best book, The Language of Flowers.  It's the story of a former foster child who ages out of the system, and whose only marketable skill is a talent for flower-arranging.  It's the current front-runner for my favorite book of 2011. 
  • I am next supposed to be reading Agatha Christie's Sleeping Murder, because I found out it was on the bestseller list during the week in which my play script is supposed to take place, and I thought I would include some sort of tie-in.  I got it on Kindle, though, so it's sort of a "past meets present" kind of thing.  
  • My car failed the state emissions test for the license plate renewal.  The guy at the testing booth said, "Your car failed because of this code," and he circled a numerical code on a sheet of paper.  I asked him what that code meant, and he said he didn't know.  REALLY?!  Am I the first person to ever ask that question?  They don't have a computer system or a book or something to look it up?  Anyway, I Googled the code, and it said the problem was "fuel system too lean."  Now, this has to be the first problem I've ever had in which something was too lean.  So, I had to take the car to the mechanic twice, first to determine the problem, and then a week later after the part was ordered to have the work done, and it cost $731.  And now I have to drive it for 150 miles, under certain specified conditions (tank half-full, 15 miles on the freeway going 55 mph, etc.), and then I have to have the mechanic retest the car and give me a form saying I passed.  And then I have to go back to the state testing facility and do the test again.  I think it might have been easier if I just pushed the car over a cliff.  Fortunately for the people who make money off these car repairs, Illinois doesn't have a lot of cliffs.  
  • I need another job, like, really badly.  At this point I might even be willing to go sit in a cubicle some days during the week, under florescent light, drinking bad coffee, if it meant I'd be out of this funk where I feel useless and bored.  
  • I went to Zumba again today.  It was pretty good.
  • I got the Martha Stewart Living Halloween edition.  
  • Tomorrow is my town's annual fall fest and chili cook-off. 

No comments: