Monday, September 26, 2011

Average Mom Sunday Check-In

So, the original SuperIma Leigh Ann has decided to put the SuperIma Sunday Check-In on hiatus.  I do like the idea of a weekly check-in, but since I'm neither Super nor Hebrew-speaking, I decided to change it into an Average Mom Sunday Check-In.

Oh, and I'm not saying it's A Thing.  I might never do it again.  I'm non-committal like that.  And I'm not saying I'm turning it into a carnival with a Mr. Linky or anything like that.  I'm too insecure, and I'd take it personally if nobody participated.

Also, in the case that I do decide to make it a regular thing, I am not establishing any kind of format for it.  It's just a sort of random, this and that, updatey sort of thing.

Oh and also, it's now Monday.  I started this post on Sunday.  So I'm all kinds of win here.

So, brief life updates on me:

We enjoyed a brief visit from my dad and stepmom last week.  They arrived Wednesday afternoon.  Thursday Nathan had school.  My parents came with me to pick him up, and, for the first time this school year, Nathan got a bad report.  The report wasn't that bad, just that Nathan had to be separated from the other kids because he was kicking his legs around under the table.  But still, can you give me a break, kid?  Why is it that your worst school reports have to come when third parties are with me picking you up?  I realize this is some kind of issue where the routine of your life gets upset when visitors come, and that translates into unpleasant school behavior, but come on.

Later that same day, Nathan had a meltdown at the mall because he refused to say thank you for the toy my parents bought him, and so he couldn't have it, but I want that toy, but I can't say thank you ... and repeat about 75 times until we just had to go home. 

Friday was better.  We all went apple-picking.  I have a lot of pictures, so I'll just write a separate post.

Like many American families, our Saturday was consumed by soccer.  Nathan's team had a double-header.  That's right, a double-header for a pre-K/K soccer league where they don't even keep score.  Apparently there are an odd number of teams, and in order to give the kids the maximum playing opportunity, they just assigned each team a week to have a double-header.  This was our lucky week, and it was made doubly-lucky by the fact that it was also soccer picture day.  Oh, and I had to bring snack.  Soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer.

Except, guess what?  Nathan actually ran around the field, throughout his entire playing time, for both games.  I was actually able to grumble about his having dirty socks for the team picture, whereas I assumed Nathan's socks would still be pristine white after two hours on the field. 

Later that day, Bill and I went out to dinner while my parents babysat.  We went to our usual date night place.  There was a live singer with a keyboard there.  I lip-synched along with him to Lionel Richie's "Easy Like Sunday Morning."  Good times, I tell you, good times.

My parents left Sunday morning.  And now a new week begins.  And guess what?  I still don't !@$% have any freelance work.  On the bright side, I have more time to work on my my murder mystery script for the park district, and I think it's coming along well.  I guess.  I mean, I don't know.  The story takes place in 1977, in a bed and breakfast in a fictional remote Wisconsin town.  I mention this because there are virtually no alibis that I can concoct for these characters as to what they might have been doing at the time the murder took place.  I keep coming back to the idea one's Internet browsing history could be used as an alibi, except ... 1977.  On the plus side, it's going to have a kick-ass soundtrack.  And macrame wall hangings.  And really, those are more important than a solid plotline anyway.

Speaking of stories, does anybody have any good book recommendations?  I finished The Language of Flowers a few weeks ago, and I loved it, but I always struggle to find a good book after finishing a book I really like.  You know, a tough act to follow and all that.  Anyway, I like historical fiction a lot, mostly about women because I like to learn about the average lives of women in other times. 

Oh and that reminds me, did you guys watch Pan Am?  I really liked it.  It's obviously intended as an attempt to capitalize on the whole 60's craze popularized by Mad Men, and, like Mad Men, it sort of plays on the appalling nature of human behavior in that era, while at the same time making everything look so glamorous.  Because, yeah, a Pan Am stewardess gets a demerit for coming to work without a girdle, and there are weight checks, and generally a stewardess of that era is sort of projecting the idea that she's another amenity to be had when you fly Pan Am.  But look how fancy and posh those planes are!  And the way they're all trained to walk the same way!  And I want one of those Pan Am bags. 

Okay, on to another week of my life.  Have a good one, everybody!

1 comment:

Maria The Mum said...

Book suggestions...I've been working on a blog about books as I have read tons lately (not that I have free time, I've been unable to sleep and reading is way better than laundry at 2am!) Anyway, though these aren't really historical, both are about two pretty strong women who went through more than any one woman should have to...both are written by Jeanette Walls. The first is The Glass Castle, its her story...brilliant. But even more brilliant is Half Broke Horses which she calls a true life novel. It is her maternal grandmother's story - I loved it! Finished it and started it again...both are excellent...read Glass Castle first....not that it matters but after I read Half Broke Horses, Glass Castle took on a whole new meaning but I think if I had read Horses first, Glass Castle would not have meant the same...
Sorry for the long post..I'm just so excited to share these..I just dorked out, sorry about that!
Anyway, enjoy and thanks for sharing your writing...

Maria