Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Virtual Coffee: Inadvertently Bitter Edition

Here's the Virtual Coffee badge:









Here's a button for Amy, the host of Virtual Coffee:
Photobucket

I did my introduction in badge form because I'm in a hurry.  Plus the badges are cute.

Hi, welcome to Virtual Coffee today. 

First off, my obligatory discussion of the coffee I'm drinking.  Today I'm trying Green Mountain Coffee breakfast blend K-cups for the first time.  I usually drink the Caribou Coffee ones from Costco, but yesterday I used my last one and didn't feel like going all the way to Costco, so I had to get K-cups at Bed Bath & Beyond (well, I didn't have to, but I had one of their many, many, many coupons), and they don't carry the Caribou ones. 

I am actually super-duper frustrated with my Keurig right now.  It only brews an ounce or two of coffee at a time, so I have to keep restarting it to brew an entire cup.  I Googled "Keurig only brews a few ounces" and many people said they had fixed the problem by hitting the machine.  That sounded awesome.  But unfortunately I hit away and nothing happened.  Katie suggested that I run the machine through with no K-cup, just to rinse it out with hot water.  She said that's what the Keurig brochure said to do.  Unfortunately I tried it and it didn't solve the problem, but I am super impressed that she would even read the brochure that came with the machine.  I never read the directions unless I absolutely have to.  Oh, and if I had any freaking clue where the directions/receipt/original packaging are, I might be able to check if the machine is still under warranty, and possibly get it replaced.  But instead I'll probably just go and buy a new one, even though the first one didn't really work out for me, because that's the kind of dumb consumer I am.

In other "broken things" news, my iTunes account has somehow been frozen and the password doesn't work, even after I reset it.  I called iTunes to fix the problem, and they just straight-up blow you off ("Please visit our website.  Thank you for calling.  Goodbye. [CLICK]") if your iPod is more than 90 days old.  Mine is more than 90 days old, and also has gum from my purse stuck to it. 

I think you're starting to see how awesome I am at breaking and ruining stuff. 

Anyway, so I am in email conversations with the iTunes tech support people, who said it might take several days to fix the problem, which is frustrating because I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to download the Glee original songs featured on tonight's season finale. 

In less gripey news, I did successfully make it to my 5:30 a.m. swimming engagement today.  I can't believe that in high school I swam at 5:30 a.m. in an outdoor pool.  (Granted it was in Southern California, but even in SoCal it can be a little chilly at 5:30 a.m.)  I was pretty exhausted this morning because I went to Spin class yesterday.  Now, in the world of exercise, there are some good kinds of exhausted.  There's that feeling of tired serenity after a workout.  And there is that powerful feeling when you're tired during a workout, but dammit, you're gonna bring it the f**k on, because you are a powerful warrior and you are kicking that pool's ass.  Today's exhaustion was none of that.  Today's exhaustion was more like the kind where I had to picture my bed sitting on the pool deck to motivate me to keep swimming toward the wall. 

But that's done, and now I can feel all smug for the rest of the day knowing that I am done working out. 

(P.S. Obligatory Weight Watchers update: Lost 2.2 pounds at yesterday's weigh-in, despite some bad moments involving cookies.  That brings my total up to 24 pounds lost, or about a third of what I want to lose.) 

Today I'm excited to be spending Nathan's preschool hours ... going to the grocery store and getting an eyebrow wax.  No, but after that I am going to buckle down and start writing my emcee script for the Beatles tribute show I'm participating in this summer for community theater.  I got the song list yesterday, and the first show is June 4, so yay! 

I'm also excited because I was contacted yesterday by the people at BBC radio in the UK about being a call-in guest to talk about the subject of Gender Reveal Parties.  In case you haven't heard about this trend, it goes as follows: (1) Expectant couple goes for 20-week ultrasound and asks ultrasound tech to write the sex of the unborn baby on a sheet of paper and seal it in an envelope, (2) Couple takes envelope to baker and asks baker to dye cake batter either pink or blue, then frost the cake in a neutral color, (3) Couple forces family and friends to endure pointless party, the culmination of which is the cutting of the cake to reveal the sex of the unborn child.  As you can see, I'm not so much an "expert" on this custom so much as I am a giant hater/mocker of the concept, which I see as silly, self-centered, pointless, and a little bit hard on your friends who have recently experienced miscarriage or infertility.  Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, because I wrote a post about this trend back in my Chicago Moms Blog days, and the BBC people found it and asked me to be a guest.  I know absolutely zero details about when this show will be, or whether it will be online.  And honestly, I'm a little bit scared about the whole thing because some of the comments on my original CMB post were mean.  Apparently I am a mean, bitter person who doesn't understand how to be supportive of my friends, and I don't deserve to have anybody be happy for me and my life accomplishments.  I'm hoping the British are nicer to me than some Americans. 
Save Now

Well, I could go on, but I have to go!  Thanks for coffee!

3 comments:

Moomser said...

Hi, fun post. I kind of got stuck at the whole 5am workout thing (so not a morning person)! That cake thing sounds confusing btw. Thanks for coffee!

Melyssa Duggan said...

I agree with your opinion on gender revealing parties, pretty weird. Have you seen the article on the parents who are not revealing the sex of their baby, who is like 4 months old? Also pretty weird.

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

LOL. Read your post on Gender/Sex Reveal Parties and you have some good points. Although reading some of the comments, I suppose it matters on the nature of your relationship with the people you choose to invite. If it's everybody and their neighbors, then yeah, that can be dumb. (And yeah, baby showers can be super boring - probably especially when they're so formulaic.) However, I could see having a nice dinner together with immediate family and trying to do something creative to reveal the baby's gender. (NOT cake. I don't like cake and eating one of an unnatural color is even worse.)

Sorry your coffee machine is on the blink! That is a sore situation indeed! Hope you get it fixed soon.