Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hissy Fit

Date Night Redux:

Yesterday I posed the question on Facebook as to whether it would be a total violation of the date night spirit if Bill and I went to two separate movies.  There was a Thor playing at 7:30 and a Bridesmaids playing at 7:20.  The consensus among *ahem* my friends was that it would be fine to see two separate movies, so long as we had dinner together beforehand.  The consensus among all my husbands, however, was that there was no point in getting a babysitter if we were each going to the movies separately. 

I knew we were involved in a game of chicken here, just waiting for the other person to cave in first.  During dinner I asked Bill to run down his case for Thor.  Some of his arguments were weak, such as that he hates Kristen Wiig and imagined the entirety of Bridesmaids would be her doing that Target Lady character from SNL.  But he did argue that Thor was a movie that should be seen on the big screen, whereas Bridesmaids was suitable for Netflix.  So I gave in.

Thor was not my favorite movie of the superhero genre.  I'm not all that interested in Vikings, and I was way more excited by the trailer for the WWII-era Captain America.  I thought Thor's "realm" looked super cheesy, and I just don't like Natalie Portman.  I also don't like these confusing superhero plots with wormholes and parallel universes and a bunch of crazy backstory that Bill says you have to have read the comic books to understand.  I miss the Superman days, where it was a very straightforward Good vs. Evil, and the biggest plot "twist" was that Clark Kent was really Superman with glasses. 

But I think it's really fun for my husband to get to see film adaptations of the comic books he's been reading for years, and I do like the idea that each superhero gets an individual movie before they all come together in The Avengers in a few years.  Somehow the discussion of all these superhero films caused me to have a very pleasant dream about Robert Downey Jr., I mean Iron Man, and side note who remembers on Ally McBeal when he sat next to her at the piano and sang to her and is there anything more swoon-worthy in the world and excuse me I have to go collect myself I'll be back.

Okay, better.

So, we saw Thor.  And before that we went out to dinner. Let me just say that if I don't effing lose weight this week I will effing bite a Weight Watchers leader's head off (Points Plus® value: 6).  I carried my own damn fat-free dressing to the restaurant in my purse, and then when we went to the movies I swapped the bottle of dressing for a container of homemade air-popped popcorn and some Red Vines.  And I didn't even eat the whole box of Red Vines, or even half.  I counted out 10 damn Red Vines. 

Today: 

The weather is so bad.  I was gonna ride my bike outside, but it is freezing.  The temperature is 45 degrees, 36 with the windchill.  You know what I want to do today?  Sit in my house, take a bubble bath, read, write blog posts, and take a nap.  And I think I should get to do all those things, as a reward for my diligent Weight Watcheredness. 

Also tonight I'm going to pick up Katie and her mom from the airport after their Scotland trip, which will also include returning her cat Fraidy.  This will be a relief for poor Fraidy, who has probably grown weary from her one-cat re-enactment of the book Room.  On the occasions when she has gotten out of Room, she and Leia have been a giant hiss-fest, and yesterday while their mutual foe the vacuum was out, I caught them actually scrapping a bit, with the puffy tails and the jumping and all. 

No comments: