Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday Randomness

Why is it so effing cold today?  Like, seriously, temps in the high 40s?!  Was it not just 90 degrees with a hint of sunscreen in the air?  It's almost as though some sort of unnatural rapid-temperature-changing phenomenon is occurring as a result of our years of irresponsible fossil fuel usage. 

Back to winter.  Chicago FTW. 

Completely unrelated, I have some questions about Glee.  First of all, this past week they all went to the junior prom.  Are we supposed to believe that every single character on Glee, from the closeted gay bully who tortures Kurt, to Sue Sylvester's minion who has Down Syndrome, is in the same grade?  Do the producers of that show not know how a high school works?  See, in a typical American high school, there are students in four different grades going to the school at the same time.  It's not just like the entire high school is in the same grade, and then the next year that high school transitions to being a high school that only teaches the next grade up. Wouldn't they want the glee club to be comprised of students in different grade levels, so that they don't all graduate at once and leave the glee club with no members?  And what is going to happen when everybody graduates? 

Plus, am I the only one who wonders when the glee club practice is supposed to be?  Is it an actual class period, or do they practice after school?  I know they made a reference to an after-school practice once, but how would the kids have time to be in other activities like sports and cheerleading? 

I know, I know, my TV-loving friend Lenore would tell me that I'm crazy to expect a show like Glee to be realistic.  But while I'm willing to suspend some reality and accept the fact that, say, an average public high school has the resources for special effects that produce a rainstorm on a stage even though there is constant talk of being strapped for funds, I do think that a TV drama should mostly be couched in reality.  And yet, every single episode, I find myself saying, "Wait ... WHAT?!"  It would probably be better if the show did end when everybody graduates, because I can't stand this taxing of my mental resources every week.  (Or, you know, every other week, except for the entire months of January, March, and April, when Glee inexplicably goes on hiatus.) 

Back to my real life, we are going on another date night tonight.  Our babysitter called us and left a message recently listing all the days she has free, so I think she needs the money.  Win-win, except for the part about losing money on my part.  But, you know, my marriage is the winner.  I actually do think the husband and I have gotten to the point where we actually do enjoy and appreciate going out kid-free, as opposed to that initial period where the whole exercise ranked very poorly on the Fun-to-Hassle Ratio (© my stepdad). 

Anyway, once again my goals for my marriage are not necessarily aligned with my goals for weight loss, by which I mean that I have used up all my bonus Weight Watchers points this week and do not have points left to go to a restaurant.  And so I think I'm going to be the Jerk Who Brings Her Own Salad Dressing to the restaurant.  I remember when my dad used to do that, and he looked like a bum because he'd put the bottle of dressing in a paper bag like bums do with their screw-top wine. 

Also I think we might actually make it to a movie tonight, because the date night is starting a little earlier than the last one (due to the babysitter's lifeguarding schedule at the gym).  So, once again we find ourselves having the movie argument, which specifically this time is Thor vs. Bridesmaids.  Never, not once in the course of our seven-year marriage, have my husband and I agreed on a movie choice.  It's actually a good thing we had Nathan to get in the way of our movie-going, because otherwise we probably would have gotten divorced over a movie argument. 

Actually I don't care that much if Thor wins tonight, because of all the movie genres Bill likes, I find superhero films the most tolerable.  The actors playing the superheroes are often very good-looking. 

In other entertainment news, I'm reading a Danielle Steele novel.  It's her most recent one, 44 Charles Street.  The book's theme is sort of like Desperate Housewives or American Beauty: people who seem boring and normal on the surface often have dark secrets.  And as always, Danielle sacrifices quality writing in favor of scintillating (if unrealistic) plot twists, but that's the kind of book I'm into right now.  I just can't possibly do a lot of thinking about a book right now. 

Up next I have the latest Jen Lancaster: If You Were Here.  Jen is kind of a huge smug bitch on her blog and in her other books, but her writing is good.  You could probably say the same thing about Hemingway.

Yeah, that's right, I referenced classic literature. 

Insert witty conclusion here.

No comments: