Monday, September 6, 2010

To everything there is a season

I forgot to mention back in August that it was my Chicago-versary. It was six years ago that Bill and I, and our then-tiny cat, packed up our Toyota Corolla and headed across this great land of ours (Nebraska excepted) to start a new life in the Midwest.

Four days, one speeding ticket (mine), and countless moon pies later, we arrived in Chicago and eventually found a home in the south suburbs.

Six years, one child, and many cat-pounds (and, if I'm being honest, human-pounds) after that, I can't imagine calling anywhere else home.

Now, when people evaluate life in Chicago, they immediately mention the caveat of the weather. As in, "I love it here! Except for the weather, of course."

And it's true. There's some sucky weather here. The winter lasts way too long, and the summer is humid. Between bitter cold, uncomfortable humidity, and torrential rain, there are about ten days a year that are pleasant to be outdoors in Chicago.

But, underneath it all, there are some good things about Chicago weather. One, it gives us something to talk about. What would we talk about if not for the weather?

But also, I find a certain comfort in the changing of the seasons. As one season ends, you look forward to the beginning of the next. And then when that seasons ends, you look forward to the beginning of the one after that. And so on.

Back in May I was chomping at the bit for summer. And in June, we embraced summer activities. We went to the beach:


We swam in the pool:
And, as summer wore on, we packed in all kinds of other summer activities: waterparks, summer camp, swimming lessons, and playgrounds. We entertained out-of-town guests at our various Chicago-based tourist attractions. There were more camps, more outdoor enrichment activities, and more trips to the pool. So many bottles of sunscreen. So many towels in the laundry. So much fun.

But now, it is time for summer to end. And as eagerly as I anticipated the beginning of summer, I find myself happy to say goodbye to summer and welcome fall. So happy that we've already packed in some fall-based activities in the four days since the autumnal weather began.

We went on a nature hike:


We went apple-picking:


I bought Nathan some new jeans, and brought mine out of the closet (and, thankfully, they fit). I made chili. I put out a scarecrow.

And, tomorrow, my sweet baby will start preschool.

In my mind, I know that it's not a big deal. It's just a two-mornings-a-week preschool. It's not like I'm shipping him off to college.

But still. But still.

It is a new season. We will be in a routine. Back to the grind. School.

There will be a schedule. I love schedules. I love getting back into it. I will rally to be more disciplined in my eating, my exercising, my cleaning, my life.

And perhaps, I will start a new chapter in my life. Find new work. The new season reminds us that there are always new opportunities.

To everything there is a season.

Winter:


Spring:


Summer:


Fall:

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love it! Nathan looks so tiny at the pumpkin patch. Looking forward to school starting tomorrow and some autumnal activities in the near future.