Sunday, December 4, 2011

14 Days of Festivity: Day 1

Hometown Holiday Light-Up

I don't have a ton of photos from this event, because it was at night, and it's hard to take photos at night.  So I'll just have to fill in the gaps with my sparkling commentary.  (Get it ... sparkling ... holiday lights?)

The village where we live has its annual tree lighting the first Friday in December.  Santa rides in on a decorated fire engine and switches on the lights on the big holiday tree at the park.  Then you stroll around the streets and stores, or ride the trolleys, to various little activities. 

I remember the year I went to the tree lighting by myself, back when we still lived right next to the park.  I remember carrying an infant Nathan to see the tree, trudging through the snow and wondering what I was thinking having a baby out in the bitter cold at the ungodly hour of 7:00.  I remember the year we skipped it because it was 10 degrees outside. 

This year it was about 50 degrees, and the warmer weather must have attracted more people.  It was so crowded, and I felt like everywhere I looked, I saw somebody I knew.  There's that woman from the gym!  There's Nathan's little friend from school!  And the soccer coach!  And some kids I know from my plays! 

It's kinda neat to live in a town where you know so many people.  And it's special for me to know so many people here, because when we first moved here I didn't know anybody, and I remember crying tears of joy the first time I saw somebody I knew at the grocery store. 

It's also just kind of cool to kick off the holiday season with an activity that brings out most of the town.  It feels so festive, you know? 

A highlight for me this year was getting to pet a live reindeer.  I also enjoy the annual ice-carving demonstration. 

But mostly I spent my time waiting in line for 20 minutes to get popcorn for Nathan.  While I was in line, Bill and Nathan went and looked at the decorated antique cars.  I don't know why, but every festival in my town seems to feature a display of antique cars. 

Here are a few shots from the car display:

Pooh loves a good car show!



With the Woody in the background

This would be Christmas Threw Up: The Automotive Version

After we got the popcorn, people's feet started hurting, and people had to go to the bathroom, and people were cold. So we walked through the luminaria-lined streets to our car, buoyed by the Christmas spirit. 

No comments: