Thursday, October 6, 2011

Turn On, Tune In ...

The good news/bad news about not having any current paying employment is that I can drop out of society for a few days if I want to.  So that's what I did Monday through Wednesday.

I feel the need to mention--and not because I want to be overly TMI on the Internet about my "cycles," but because I don't want anybody to think I've sunk into a pit of deep depression--that this funk was a normal, run-of-the-mill thing that happens to women every so often. 

It has passed. 

But Monday through Wednesday I felt like doing absolutely nothing.  I mean, I think I still did stuff, like meeting with the financial adviser at the bank to roll over my old retirement accounts from when I was, like, 23.  And I still did some laundry and provided basic sustenance to my family.  And I finished reading a book for a book club at the library.  Plus we got through the basic tasks of the day. 

But mostly I sat around and watched recordings of Ken Burns' "Prohibition."  It is a really, really good documentary.  And no matter how big of a failure I felt the past three days, at least I wasn't as big of a failure as Prohibition was. 

I applied for a few jobs but got flustered.  I haven't worked on my script in a week.  I made and consumed a whole loaf of cinnamon swirl bread, along with M&Ms and peanut butter straight out of the jar.  Oh, and to make matters worse, I skipped the gym for two days. 

Meanwhile, the most beautiful October weather raged on outside, but I huddled up under a blanket while I parked Nathan in front of the computer. 

I was in a Mood.  A capital M Mood, which is sort of like when the temperance movement in the late 1800s urged people not to just cut back from alcohol consumption, but to be a total abstainer, a capital T Total abstainer.  Hence, teetotaler.  Fun fact I learned from my six hours of watching "Prohibition." 

Anyway, today I rejoined society.  I volunteered for three hours at the Cancer Support Center.  I did errands.  We went to the park. 

So, I promise to write my blog for the whole rest of the week.  I think.  Maybe.  Unless some other interesting documentaries come on. 

No comments: