Monday, October 17, 2011

The Show Won't Go On

Remember that whole murder mystery script I was writing for the community theater?

Well, I was about halfway done, maybe more, when we had auditions this past Friday and Saturday.  I had been told that the park district had received all kinds of calls about this play, so I imagined this would actually be a fairly cutthroat audition.

Friday night we had 3 people audition.  Saturday we had another 4, except technically two were ineligible because they were under 18.  We texted another man who had acted in some other shows, and he agreed to be in this one.  So, if Bill and I agree to be in it, and we allow the underage actors, and I rewrite some parts to be for women instead of men ... we are still 2 actors short.  It seems like a lot of effort and scrambling just to do the play for the sake of doing it.

I think we're pulling the plug.

Obviously I have mixed feelings about this decision.  To be honest, when it looked like the show might be canceled, my gut feeling was relief.  I'd been struggling to write this script, and I didn't like the feeling of having it hanging over my head all the time.  It would be nice to be relieved of that feeling.

On the other hand, I did put a lot of effort into writing the first half of the script, and it's a little bit disappointing to just give up like that.

I am told that there is another community theater opening up in town, and that maybe my play can find a new home with them.  So obviously I didn't delete the file. 

But for now, the file is closed indefinitely.  And mostly it just feels kind of weird not to have it in my life.  I no longer feel guilty for doing anything else besides writing the script.  But also, writing the script was sort of functioning as a stop-gap measure to make me feel purposeful between freelance jobs.  Now I'm just like ... what?  A random lazy mom?  While there's plenty of stuff I can do with Nathan or around the house, it just feels sort of boring and meaningless.  I need another job.

But that's a story for another day. 

No comments: