Monday, October 24, 2011

Fun With Fall Photo Ops

As a parent, it's very important to me to get good photos of my child. Never mind if he had fun and it was some big momentous occasion for him ... Did we get a photo of it? A good photo?

Pumpkin patches are, like, designed for parents like me.  They're like one adorable photo op after another, periodically interrupted by opportunities to buy pumpkins and do other fall things.

So, following last week's series of disappointing pumpkin patch closures, Nathan and I were finally able to hit the Important Must-See Fall Destination on a beautifully clear day.

Before I begin, I should note that I have made it a point throughout October to acquire cheaply-priced pumpkins at various retailers, so that we wouldn't be tempted to buy the expensive pumpkins at the patch.  I told Nathan that he could have $10 to buy whatever snacks, pumpkins, and/or crappy souvenirs he wanted, and that was it.  Naturally, our first stop had to be the gift shop.  He selected a $3 pair of googly eyeglasses.

You can see the eyeglasses in this first photo at this year year's new photo op: The wooden pumpkin. 


What will never cease to amaze me is how children find the water pump infinitely fascinating:


Now, the whole reason this particular facility is an Important Must-See Fall Destination is that, for the past four years, we have taken this photo in front of the "How Tall This Fall?" sign.  I'm not sure if the proprietors of the farm realize what a major selling feature the sign is.




Here's one of those random "stick your head in a hole" shots:


Another thing kids love is climbing on tractors:


Here's Nathan milking the plastic cow whose utters produce water.  It takes on a whole new meaning once you've used a breast pump:


This is Nathan at the start of the straw tunnel, which has been jazzed up this year to become the STRAW VORTEX.  (In one portion they added a visual effect that looks like the room is spinning.) 


This year the children's rides are free on the weekdays.  So we made sure to go on a weekday.  And then I think we rode fewer rides this year than in previous years when you had to buy separate tickets for each ride.  I guess because free rides equals longer lines. 

This is a kind of crappy picture on the Frog Hopper ride:




Also this year they added one of my favorite carnie attractions: The Fun Slide.  The following picture is not great of my kid (though that is him sliding down there), but I thought it had a fun nostalgic feel combined with a really nice fall backdrop:


This particular Important Must-See Fall Destination added a corn pit this year, which means we no longer have to go to the Other Important Must-See Fall Destination, whose main selling feature was the corn pit. 

Let me just say this right now: If you ever have the chance to jump in a corn pit, do it!  It is so soft and soothing.  I might build a corn pit in my basement!





And since I made it a point to wear Halloween-ish socks, I will show you a photo of them:


Next we went back to the Fun Slide.  The following picture is not perfect, but I did capture a fun expression on Nathan's face:


Side note: It was at the slide that I became aware that one can never win when it comes to mompetition.  See, I had packed snacks and drinks from home for budgetary/dietary reasons, and I was feeling all extra wholesome for bringing apple slices.  Then this mom over by the slide reached into a little basket and produced broccoli for her children.  Sigh.  

Also, as your kid gets older, he develops very specific opinions about what would look cute in a photo, and they often differ from your opinions.  Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


I take this photo every year, and every year I think if only:


Here is Nathan in front of a miniature house called Little House on the Scary, which plays a soundtrack that alternates between the theme song from The Addams Family and the theme song from The Munsters ... and repeat.  


Another photo op that implies criminal activity:

 The Smashing Pumpkins should be arrested for their depressing 90s-era alternative rock.

And the ever-classy "outhouse" photo op:


Finally kind of a sweet photo:


Here's another frog-themed ride:


And a kind of crappy train photo:


At the end of the visit, Nathan selected a medium-sized pumpkin to purchase with the remainder of his $10.  Although, at 24 pounds, it didn't feel all that medium when I was lugging it to our car in the parking lot. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: