Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Warning: This post brought to you by hungry, tired, and crabby

Did you know that if you go off a diet for two weeks straight and then try to get back on, it's like starting all over again? I am starving! And I'm crabby!

I go around in a hunger-induced haze and yell at my family all the time. And the gym isn't going so great, either. Before the trip, I was a faithful gym-goer. Now it takes every bit of willpower I have to get myself to any class, and if it's before 8 a.m. or after 8 p.m., forget it. That God for New Year's resolutions, or I wouldn't be going at all. Because did you also know the temperatures are in the single digits right now?

During the warmer months, I always forget how easy it is to just want to stay home all day long in the winter. You know, versus getting myself and my uncooperative child shoved into coats, hats, and gloves and shoveling snow so we can go to some pathetic indoor activity? Except, this is how Seasonal Affective Disorder happens. And I can have all the phototherapy lamps and Prozac in the world, but if I lock my entire family together in the house for days on end, I'm going to be a crazy person. (Bill is still on his winter break, except he has finals to grade, so he's here but also all stressed out.)

This morning I dragged my ass to A.M. Challenge at the gym, which was at 6 a.m., and it was 5 degrees outside. And that crazy class was hard. It was like, "Spin like crazy on the bikes for 5 minutes, and now get down and do lunges and squats! Now back on the bike! Back to squats! Repeat!"

After the class, I was soaked with sweat. And here's the disgusting part: I took my sweaty self home and got back in my bed. I seriously did not care how gross that was. I was able to fall asleep for another hour, which is the luxury you have when you don't have a job and your kid carried on in his bed the previous night until 10 p.m.

The funny thing is, I kind of wish that class was more than once a week. I think it would be better to get into a routine of getting up at 5 a.m., rather than just doing it on Wednesdays. And maybe if I did it twice a week, I might have a prayer of getting myself in shape to do it.

But I already decided that class is going to be like street parking: If there are more than 2 inches of snow on the ground, I can't do it.

No comments: