Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This is how it's gonna be.

One of the reasons I've always had trouble keeping up blogs is that I run out of things to write about. I mean, my life is not that interesting. Nonetheless, I have decided this time around to just write a recap of my day and see where that takes me.

Today The Boy had a playdate with his friend who is almost 4. I'm starting to feel like The Boy doesn't play well with others. Right off the bat, he just shoves his guest, earning him time out #1 of 50 today. Later he dumped sand on his guest's hair, and when I told him not to do that, he immediately turned around and did it again. Then after he got a time out for that, he just went right in the sandbox and dumped sand on his friend's hair again.

Anyway, when my son wasn't torturing his friend, the two boys did have fun. I took them to the splash pad in a local park. I love the splash pad. I wish I could just run through it myself, except that involves a high level of humiliation, only part of which would be caused by wearing my bathing suit in public.

For lunch I made "pizza cupcakes," which sound nasty but are actually delicious. I got the recipe from Cookie magazine, which I generally hate for its tendency to recommend stuff like $100 sweaters for toddlers, but does have some good recipes. So, you just take pizza dough (homemade or store-bought), roll it out to 1/4 inch thick, and cut 6 pieces that roughly approximate a 6" square. Line the cups of a 6-cup greased muffin tin with the pieces of dough, and fill with whatever random pizza filling things you want. Wrap the dough around and pinch it closed at the top. You can do an egg wash to make it all shiny, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan if you have it. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.

After Nathan's friend left, we went to the gym. So, I have this really nifty waterproof MP3 player that makes swimming infinitely less boring. Today the right earbud didn't seem to be emitting any sound, so my first assumption was that I must have gone deaf in my right ear. And that about sums me up right there.

Actual cause of the problem: the MP3 player needed to be charged.

After the gym and a really rushed dinner, I went to a wine seminar at the library with my new friend who I met on a blog. My library is so cool. This lady taught us all about wine and how wine grapes actually need really crappy conditions to optimally grow. So that's why you should drink more wine, because you are supporting a plant that has struggled through adversity.

Anyway, this is a link to the blog written by the lady who taught the class. It's a wine blog.

I enjoyed tasting the wines and learning enough about them to sound mildly competent. I appreciated that she had grocery store wines to try, and also that she generally didn't look down on boxed wine.

She told us that the annual Illinois state wine convention would be held in Springfield in September. I entertained myself immensely with the idea that the convention's theme should be "Drinkin' with Lincoln."

But then I found out that the lady was wrong and the convention will actually be in Starved Rock. While I'm sure that's a lovely area, and that the convention will be very nice, it's still no Drinkin' with Lincoln.

And that is a summary of my day.

No comments: