Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Taken to the Cleaners

Our family is really screwed up, sleep-wise, right now. I blame jet lag, but maybe it's just because we are all really lazy. Or, in the case of the boy, just really resistant to sleeping in our own beds, which leads to late nights of protesting and exhaustion on everyone's part.

This morning the boy and I had plans to go visit his little friend and her family, who had just moved and needed help unpacking. We were supposed to leave at 9:00, but the boy was still asleep. I let this go until 9:15, and then I woke him up. At which point he said, and I quote, "No, I want to sleep." Now darned if I wasn't the stupidest mother alive for actually waking up a child who verbally expressed his desire to sleep. But what was I supposed to do? We had plans.

We got to the house (late), and I immediately realized how much more organized this newly-moved-into house was than my own lived-in-for-two years house. I find this fact very stressful. Clutter is my arch foe. My husband, however, seems to thrive on it. I find this clutter almost too much to handle, especially after we get back from vacation and things are in a state of disarray.

Anyway, while at my friend's house, my husband called to tell me that the dry cleaners had called to say they had ruined my black dress. This was the dress that I got compliments on, and they were glowing, "I love that dress!" kinds of compliments and not obligatory "Oh you look nice," kinds of compliments. But whatever, because I wore that dress for two events and I probably wouldn't have occasion to wear it again. If anything, getting reimbursed for it from the dry cleaners was actually the best possible situation for me.

Except then when I got home, I got an invitation for another wedding. A wedding this dress would have been perfect for. And I didn't even know this person was engaged, so I was super excited for her. Oh well, the wedding is on Halloween. Maybe I can just wear a costume instead. Though I think that might sort of be mocking the institute of marriage.

Then I took a big fat nap. I seriously felt like I had been drugged. And again, I'm not sure I can blame jet lag. I think with jet lag, you are supposed to be wide awake at certain times, just not the times appropriate the time zone you are in. I mostly feel tired all the time, though part of the problem is that I have stupidly taken on some dumb organizational projects to do on top of the general post-vacation chores. It is the time of year when office supplies are cheap at Target for back-to-school, so I bought a bunch of folders and stuff to try to get organized. It's always a great idea to start reorganizing your closets when your house really could just settle for a removal of suitcases and dirty clothes from the floor.

After the nap we had a pool date with our friends. Except we had to go to the other pool in town, because our regular pool is already closed for the season. How freakin' sad is that? So, this pool is called Dolphin Lake Pool. The baby pool has a big dolphin statue sticking up in the middle of it. However, it is against the rules to climb on the dolphin. So, whatever, Dolphin Lake Pool. Additionally, there is an actual lake next to the pool, where you are not allowed to swim, ice skate, or sail in boats. They do stock it for fishing, and other than that the acceptable activities at Dolphin Lake are looking at the lake or stepping in the generous amounts of duck crap that exist everywhere along the lakeshore.

For dinner the boy helped me make my new best friend, Pillsbury reduced-fat cinnamon rolls. At 3 points on Weight Watchers, I can really only afford to have one, but I like to include it as a sort of high-carb, nutritionally devoid "loss leader" at dinner. That is, it's something I can eat that makes me at least feel like I'm eating some kind of normal food. Really any bread product works as a loss leader, though the cinnamon rolls are good when you're making a Shannon favorite, breakfast for dinner.

And that is all for today.

No comments: