Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jump around! Jump, jump, jump around!

Based on the title of this post, you might think this is going to be about taking Nathan to a bouncy castle place, or perhaps my recent adventures at the gym. But actually, it's really only going to be the topics of this post that jump around.

Things are pretty much status quo in our household, which, given my love of boringness and stability, is great. I am filled with that hopeful feeling that comes from the first tastes of spring, though admittedly the first tastes of spring are of my own creation and not actually something that occurs in nature. You know, things like daffodils bought from the grocery store and brightly-colored clothing. Oh, and I guess the weather is warming up a little. But that might be a tease. Next week it could be back to parkas and scarves.

This past weekend I read a blurb in Martha Stewart Living, which described some study that found that there are 4 key factors to increasing your lifespan by an average of 17 years. The factors were not anything new or earth-shattering: (1) Exercise, (2) Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, (3) Drink in moderation (7-14 drinks/week), and (4) Don't smoke. Again, it's not like any of this is new or innovative. But somehow reading this stuff again made me realize that I do 3 out of the 4 things on the list, with the exception of (2) Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I try. I really do. But 5 servings is a lot. (And sometimes I read studies that say that the "5 servings" guideline is for children, and that adults need more like 8. Which is like, give me a break, people. I haven't even achieved 5 yet.)

Anyway, I'm trying to eat more foods from the plant kingdom, which I guess is easier given that the spring/summer fruits are starting to be available. And I made a policy that the only snack I can have is fruit, which has been difficult. For one thing, what constitutes a snack? Am I still allowed to have my cup of tapioca pudding for dessert? I mean, technically dessert is a dinner course and not a snack, though I tend to eat it a couple of hours after dinner. And if I tack on snack foods to an actual meal, is that okay? As in, "For dinner last night we had chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and a bag of Doritos"? And anyway it doesn't matter, because I have totally failed on my "fruit only" policy for snacks. Because, TMI, it turns out eating that much fruit kind of does a number on your colon.

Moving on.

I'm reading a book called The Postmistress right now, which is a story about 3 women in 1940. One is a postmistress in a small Massachusetts town, the other is a newlywed who just moved to the same town, and the third is a radio reporter in London covering the Blitz. The London parts are super disturbing. I mean, I knew those people were hiding in the subway stations every night to take shelter while their city was destroyed, but reading about it is still so hard.

I attempted to replicate last year's stellar record of going to the gym every day in March, but this year I amended it to "go to the gym every day except Fridays in March." I think Sunday through Thursday, plus Saturday, is enough. Saturday and Monday I do a weight-lifting class, Tuesday is Steppin' Up, Wednesday is Firm (torturous cardio/strength interval class), and Thursday I just started Boxing Boot Camp.

And finally, is this not the most beautiful chicken I have in the Crock Pot for tonight?

No comments: