Friday, March 26, 2010

The General Life Updates

A few weeks ago, I went to one of my favorite annual events, the Chicago Flower and Garden
Show.



Then the family and I went to the Museum of Science and Industry, which is my favorite Chicago museum.


In the photo on the right, the boys are standing in front of the U-505 submarine, which is a German U-boat that was captured during WWII. It is amazingly huge, but that whole exhibit is so sad. I have just read two books in a row that took place during WWII, The Postmistress (blah) and Winter Garden (almost inexcusably boring first half, but riveting and tragic second half). Both books, along with the U-boat exhibit, have just reminded me of the horrific times that the 1940s were, and of the sacrifices our grandparents' generation had to make during that era. And about how I shouldn't regard that generation as annoying and in the way and a little bit freaky in the gym locker room.

Speaking of books, right now I'm reading The Three Weissmanns of Westport, which is a modern-day adaptation of Sense and Sensability. Now, I don't remember the specifics of any of those Jane Austen stories, but basically I seem to recall that they're all sort of about the romantic misadventures of idle wealthy people in 19th-century England who have nothing better to do than meddle in each others' lives. Which means that there isn't too much to adapt, other than "romantic misadventures." Anyway, so far the book is kind of meh, but I needed something light after those two war tragedies, and this fits the bill.

Plus, this book will make perfect light reading during my mini-vacation this weekend, which will be to the lovely and tropical town of Milwaukee, Wisconsin! We are going to the Midwest Gaming Classic, which is a classic video game convention (you know, the stand-up games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong). Obviously this trip is for my husband, but I am excited because it's at a Sheraton hotel in a big city this year, versus the no-name hotel in a Wisconsin suburb that it was in last year. Also I hear Milwaukee has a great zoo, a great art museum, some kind of awesome indoor park, and plus a lot of cheese-related places. We are only going to be there for about 30 hours, so we won't have time for all that stuff, but hopefully we'll do something besides play Tetris and sleep in their supremely awesome Sheraton beds. Anyway, here's a picture from last year's convention:

Oh, he was so little! Not this big, giant boy who gets to take swim lessons all by himself now. It's like my favorite half-hour of the week! This is not my best swim lesson shot, but the other pictures have other kids in them, and I feel nervous about putting pictures of other kids on the Internet without their parents' permission. Anyway, swim lessons:

Anyway, that's about all with me.

No comments: