Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates: Sometimes You Need a Kick in the Pants to Get You Going Again. Or Something.

It turns out that blogging is like exercise: The longer you stay away from it, the harder it is to get back into it.  

Honestly, I considered just giving the whole thing up (blogging, not exercise), like so many before me have done.  But I'm trying to come back, and the reason for that is truly pathetic.  It goes like this: 

The other day I was talking to a dad at soccer about the time I went to the Sweets & Snacks Expo.  He said, "That sounds like an awesome show.  How did you get to go to that?" I explained it was because I had a blog, and that's when I realized it: If I don't have a blog anymore, I can't go to the candy show anymore.  And then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the new candy show strategies I learned from experience (go more than one day, bring Ziplocs).  

So, I'm back.  And enough blogging about blogging, even though it's so meta.  I just really like to say meta.  

The thing is that my freelance career has picked up a little bit lately.  Now, you know I'm highly superstitious and don't like to jinx myself, so I will just say that things are above average in my work life right now.   I got another freelance gig, and this one is with my old company, which is good for many reasons, namely that (1) I've been trying to get back with them on a freelance basis since I quit working there full-time four years ago, and (2) This new job really kind of encompasses every single one of my professional  experiences and interests.  That's right, every single one.  

So with the presidential candidates debating about creating new jobs, I can definitely say that I'm better off than I was four years ago.  Because a stay-at-home suburban mom who is just trying to keep her mind focused and keep her foot in the door career-wise is definitely the person Mitt and Barack are most concerned about, not, you know, the laid-off factory worker who can't feed his family.  

I'm gonna stop writing now.  I have a million other mundane update-y things I could talk about, but I'm focusing on keeping these posts a little bit shorter.  I think it becomes more daunting for me if I endeavor to do too much.  Also like exercise.  


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm glad you're back :) I've missed reading your blog