Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Well, will ya lookie here ...

So, blah, blah, blah, exciting introduction ... yadda, yadda, yadda trumped-up fanfare ... something something I'm doing National Blog Posting Month again:



(Also known as ... bleh NaBloPoMo bleh.) 

You know the drill.  You blog every day in November.  

I signed up because I needed a kick in the pants to get to my goal of 365 posts.  In October in general, but in the last week in particular, I have just not wanted to blog.  

And that's cool.  Because, outside of me, nobody cares if I write 365 posts this year.  I'm doing it for myself, because it's a hobby of mine and I like it.  So if I suddenly stop liking it, what's the point in doing it?  

So, this past Saturday, I resolved to just give up on the whole 365 posts thing. 

But quitting didn't sit well with me.  Quitting with just 2 months to go in the year is like dropping out of a marathon after 21.8333333333333333333333333 miles.  (I did the math.)  There are many good reasons to drop out of a marathon less than 5 miles before the end, namely that you are facing some sort of adverse health situation that might kill you if you don't stop running.  And I assume there are analogous, much less life-and-death, but still proportionate on a blogging scale, reasons to quit your year-long quest to write a blog post every day.  For example, you could suddenly have some major life change like a new job or a baby or something.  

But since I have neither of those things, nor any other major life change going on with me right now, and really all I have is this dumb quest to write 365 blog posts, I may as well give it a go.  

(Let me pause and say that, if it wasn't clear before, I was not equating the running of 26.2 miles with the comparatively minor task of sitting here and talking out of my ass on the Internet for an entire year.  I was just using the proportionately-similar-but-not-at-all-on-the-same-caliber example of the marathon.  That's why I calculated that number using proportions.  As always, math saves the day.) 

So, I am doing NaBloPoMo in November to motivate me to get this whole 2011 blogging thing wrapped up.  Because my recent blog laziness has led to a drop in my Blog Grade, down from the mid-90s to 59 at the time of this writing.  I don't even know what scale it's on, but I'm pretty sure 59 is an F, and I've never gotten lower than a B+ OMG MY EYE IS TWITCHING.  Must improve this totally pointless and arbitrary ranking!

Welcome to November and NaBloPoMo, everyone!

2 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Whee! Me too!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

You are certifiable. Good luck, though. I hate Nablopomofo. But I hate quitting, too.

Heh. Talking out of your ass. You said ASS. Swear words are funny.