Thursday, February 2, 2012

Well, I Wouldn't Have Predicted That

I've always wanted to be one of those people who likes to exercise.  You know, like those people who would actually choose to spend their free time doing something exercise-based? 

Me, I can definitely see the point of exercise.  Sometimes exercise is like taking Advil: You know you need to do it because your body feels bad, and doing it will make you feel better. 

And sometimes I don't even exercise because I feel the physical need to; I exercise to erase the guilt of not exercising. 

But, whatever the reason for exercise, I would never call exercise fun.  I don't see exercise as something recreational, I see it as something that takes up my free time. 

(Side note: This would mean I was completely lying when I made that magazine collage entitled "Exercise is Fun!" for my sixth-grade health class.  Also, the first time I made it, I spelled Exercise wrong.) 

Okay, bottom line: I don't really enjoy exercise.  Even the more "fun" classes like Zumba feel like a chore to me. 

Still, something is changing about my attitude toward exercise, much as I hate to admit it. 

See, later this month I'm participating in my gym's annual indoor triathlon.  I did it last year, and, despite the fact that it has the word triathlon in it, it's kind of not a big deal.  You swim for 10 minutes, ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes, and then run/walk on a treadmill for 15 minutes.  I think most people could probably survive 45 minutes on exercise equipment, so it's not really about the triumph of finishing like an outdoor triathlon. 

So, I figured the only satisfaction would be in beating my performance from last year.  I don't actually have any recollection of what my total distance was last year, but I was pretty lame and out of shape, so it can't be all that hard to do better this year.  I signed up for the training class at the gym, which meets every Saturday morning for six weeks. 

Let me say, I was pleasantly surprised by the instructor and my classmates.  I expected a class of elite athletes, and an instructor who gives homework assignments like "run 5 miles every day, followed by a 10-mile bike ride."  But the classmates are sort of in average shape, and the homework assignments are really short and do-able, and kind of the stuff I would have been doing at the gym anyway. 

What is different, though, is that we're supposed to do a combo workout each time we go to the gym, something like bike-run, run-swim, etc.  And it turns out, the endorphins are like 8 times better when you do a combination of exercises. 

Now, well, it's not like I would say I like to exercise, but I am seeing a whole new benefit.  I've always relied on exercise as a big part of my mental health maintenance, but I've never actually found that it makes me legitimately happy like it has been lately. 

Will I become somebody who wants to exercise?  Who knows? 

And speaking of exercise, I want to take this opportunity to promote my friend Adele's new blog, Adele On Wheels.  Like me, Adele is a reluctant exerciser, but she has made a commitment to fitness in 2012.  Her blog is highly relatable, well-written, and always features an appearance from her cat.  Check it out! 

2 comments:

Lisa Noel said...

I am so there with you. By joining a gym I have found that working outisnt torturous if I get tired or sore from the treadmill I do some weight machines and then finish with biking. It's so much easier to get and hour to an hour and a half that way, and especially the days I have a workout buddy

Adele said...

Oh, Shannon!! How exciting is that?? I feel all gushy over your endorsement. (...and double-punctuation-y!!) As I read your post today, I realized that I may be having the same thing happen. However, I am cautiously pessimistic at this time... Today, while walking with your mom, we walked for almost 90 minutes, and could have easily kept going, were it not for darkness, and the coyote on her street that freaked me out! Good luck to us both! (I'm still contemplating the idea of a Spin Pact for you and me.)